Thread: WIP - Earth 2050

Default WIP - Earth 2050

I'm in the middle of planning a Cyberpunk RPG campaign, and just discovered the wonders of GIS mapping for working with modern or near-modern maps. I had originally mapped it out using Photoshop, but the result wasn't exactly what I'd call 'good', and I needed to change it around anyways after me and my co-GM decided to change things around a bit.

Anyways, I discovered Quantum GIS earlier today and banged out a new map for my campaign in a few hours, and it looks much better, more professional. It doesn't have any labels or anything because I'm using Obsidian Portal's mapping system, which allows us to put pins on the map which can either lead to a link to a new map or just a bunch of information about the pinned item.

Here is the current version of the proper map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2050 United States.png 
Views:	5830 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	45741

While I rather like it, it doesn't scream 'cyberpunk', so I made an alternative version, too:

Name:	US 2050 Cyberpunk.png 
Views:	683 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	45740

You can see how this works in OP's system, complete with pins, here.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really match the rest of my site design, which you can view here (you can read more about the setting there, too). I might try and make the cyberpunky version more like the site, or I might try for a different style altogether.

EDIT: Oh, and while this is only the US to begin with, I'm likely going to do some mapping of Europe as well at the least eventually.
    Last edited by Langy; 06-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.

I've updated the map a bit, with better colors and the lower portion of Canada. I've also added the transcontinental maglev system; I may alter it to not have the giant curves it currently does (making it a simpler system that'll take more time to travel along, but cost significantly less to build). Not sure.

Name:	NA-Map.png 
Views:	1123 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	45851

Anyways, I'm trying to think of ways to pimp the image out while maintaining legibility (one of the few faults I've seen in more artistic map styles). I'm thinking about maybe using a 'satellite'-style view, with countries/etc designated by either subtle shades or boundaries. Not sure. Eventually, I might actually put labels and such directly on the map to create a more artistic version, rather than the current 'utilize the OP pin system' method of labeling, even though OP's system is much more generally useful than labels pushed directly onto the map image.

EDIT: Ignore the other attached pic; accidentally attached the wrong one, and now I can't seem to delete it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA-Map.png 
Views:	2654 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	45850  
    Last edited by Langy; 06-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.