Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Post Is it possible?

Hi guys

I've been messing about compiling info on good ol' Greyhawk (tm) then started fiddling about with map making using Campaign Cartographer - then I read Anna Bernemalm's Bryce posts (Wow, by the way. Really brings Greyhawk alive!). Now I'm wondering if it's possible to put together a 3D Greyhawk Globe? There's a fair bit of info concerning the maths on the Living Greyhawk sites - but does anyone have the skill and courage to do such a thing which would gladden the hearts of Greyhawk Campaigners for years to come (coz I certainly don't)!

Ta Ravells, and thanks for the welcome too!

Just out of curiosity, have many people discussed rendering a 3D globe - I was just about to have a nose on the forums (and download Anna's tutorial again to see if I can make any sense outa this darn complicated Bryce thing!)

We can render 3d globes no problem...I'm just not sure whether Greyhawk was originally designed to be mapped on one, (but I could be wrong as I don't know much about Greyhawk)

It certainly wasn't! It was a flat map with an hexagonal grid which covers an area roughly between 15 to 55 degrees latitude - so as you'd expect the distances east-west across the map are actually shorter the further north you go.

The Oerth Journals (free for download - can I post websites on these forums?) numbers 3 and 4 go into detail about how this effects things much more eloquently than what I could of.

Anna's working on putting greyhawk into Vue now which would make it feasible to put it onto a globe. The problem is filling in all the "missing" information of the world.

Plus the Cooperative Worldbuilding Project is taking up a lot of people's time right now so perhaps the globe project can be the next big project if you can convince people to jump on board.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

There was an Article way back in the day by Roger Moore (not of James Bond but on a Par with Gygax) detailing the full globe of Greyhawk.

I'll see if I can find it.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Oh, that would be cool I think.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Great to see all this interest in Greyhawk mapping

Making a globe map of the Oerth (the planet that Greyhawk is placed upon) is something I have thought of and made some test work on.

Oerth is a globe with two moons orbiting it, Luna and the smaller Celene. The circumference which I don’t remember you can find in the opening chapter in the Campaign guide published 1983.

Just like RPmiller wrote there are lots of “missing” or unexplored areas of Oerth. A project to fill in the missing part are underway at www.canonfire.com.

NeonKnights correctly points out an effort by Roger Moore (previous editor in chief of Dragon Magazine) to describe “the rest of Greyhawk”. TSR released a map sometime in the 80s which depicted the whole Oerth (see attachment). Several variants of that map has been made over the years.

When my mapping of the Flanaess has covered the whole continent I plan to make an overview map of the whole planet based on the available information. This maps obvious way of presentation is as a globe. Google Earth technology open up very interesting possibilities.

This is something I have had in the back in the back burner for a long time. Attachment 2 is a concept test I made using Bryce.

I concluded I needed a lot more info and better tools to make something worthy of pursuing further at the time.

Now with Vue and Google Earth the tools are there to make something spectacular. I made a test rendering of a spaceshot using Vue a few weeks ago, see this thread:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1786

I will get to doing a globe map of the Oerth eventually, but I have more urgent Greyhawk projects to waste my time on at the moment.

Hopefully someone else will pick up the glove and show the world how Oerth looks like
    //Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tsroerth.gif 
Views:	1414 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	3355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globe1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	3356  

According to some of the old files I know of, I believe the actual planet name is Oerik not Oerth, or the two names can be interchangeable.

Many maps showing most of the Eastern Continent:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froon/GH/WeatherZ3.gif

From Canonfire:

http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modu...rticle&sid=364

No map, but some details from Mr Roger Moore in Oerth Journal #3:

http://www.oerthjournal.com/oerthjournals/OJ_03.pdf

And the Follow Up Article in Oerth Journal #4: Measuring up the Oerth:

http://www.oerthjournal.com/oerthjournals/OJ_03.pdf
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 04-29-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast