Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] My first map, Kingdom of St Samuel

Wip [WIP] My first map, Kingdom of St Samuel

Ok, so I joined the guild a few days ago in search of help and inspiration for my Kingdoms map. I am a complete amateur and up until now have been using basic paint software. Below I have reluctantly uploaded my Kingdoms map which I created around 10 years ago. It is a complete embarrasment, but I wanted to show where I had come from and where I am now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProvinceMap-1-[1].jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	45849

For the past couple of days I have been using RobbA's and Wisemoon's GIMP tutorial. I have now completed Part 2 and am quite happy with the results so far.

Name:	Untitled1.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	45848

I know it's not perfect but compared to my old map its great! Any advice or pointers is eagerly received and tomorrow I'll be battling my way through Wisemoon's Part 3,4 & 5 tutorial and will hopefully have some rivers and mountains.

The map looks good so far. Compared to the old one the coastline of the main landmass looks way better, I cannot say that however about the smaller islands. Their shapes on the older maps look really good, or your new one they look like regular strokes of a round brush... I would recommend making the coastlines on your new map more irregular to make them seem more natural looking. Your islands on the older map are a very good example of such coastlines as I have stated before. There a many ways to make natural looking coastlines and you can find some of them in the tutorial section.
    I'm looking forward to how this map develops.

What would be the best way of re-doing the islands without starting over?

You're using gimp? I would suggest pasting the old map, as a layer, on top of the new version at the same size, or so the old islands are just a bit smaller than the new islands. Make a second layer on top of both and re-trace the old island coastlines (without the square pixelized corners, of course). Delete or hide the old map layer. Make a duplicate layer (below the traced layer) of the new map for your working layer and hide the other one so you don't accidentally paint on it. Then rework the water to match the old coastlines. You could try using the smear or smudge tool (or whatever it's called, I haven't used gimp in a while). Or if gimp has a liquify filter like photoshop, that might be easier and you'll have less work to touch up the style design. There may be a simpler way to do it, but I'm not an expert. Maybe you'll receive better advice from someone else.

You're doing a fine job so far! =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I started the map over and put alot more detail into the islands and it clearly looks more realistic than the blob islands in my previous effort. Through an error I messed up on the dirt section, but I've decided not to correct this as I am going to look to create a cleaner map, with just mountains, rivers and place names. The only thing at this stage I am not happy with is the sea, in my first effort the sea had a much better blend of dark blue to light blue and in the updated one it seems to just be mid blue. I'll play around with things and see if I can change this, but if anyone knows a quick fix for changing the sea let me know, or I'll be here all night going back and forth!

Name:	updated.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	45891

Looking good so far Holdenburg. I'm not too familiar with Rob's method for blending the sea colors between deep and coastal hues, but one quick method for doing this, is to create a sea color layer below your land and set it's color to a dark blue, then create a new layer on top of that for the shallow water, and fill it wit a lighter shade of blue. then create a selection of your land, invert it and, on the shallow water layer, hit "delete". This should delete all the color covering the sea but leaving the portion just beneath the land mass colored. Now turn off the selection and then apply a Gaussian blur to the shallow water layer. I'd experiment with px on the Gaussian blur and perhaps try duplicating the layer till you end up with something you like.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Name:	updated.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	45894

Thanks arsheesh, I retraced my footsteps and found I had put the black and white of the land mask layer round the wrong way, so it didn't quite take me all night! Next battle: mountains, which i'm really struggling with, even with the great tutorial. For some reason my mountains keep turning out inverted and looking like ladies private parts!

Maybe you're using the wrong variant? Bevel instead of emboss*?

*or whatever it's called in ghimp.

Maybe you're using the wrong variant? Bevel instead of emboss*?

*or whatever it's called in ghimp.

It is nicer with the jagged coastlines, and no dirt. Did you intend for the deeper islands to have black sand around their edges? Just pointing out that it's different from the rest of the map, not necessarily bad. Um, your mountains... =) haha (as a last resort, you could try inverting the layer). I'm not sure what style/process the tutorial follows, but you could always draw them by hand, too, with various brush-style settings. That's my habit, but it's not to everyone's liking.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast