Thread: Greetings

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Greetings

Hi everyone,
    I'm a professional web designer/developer and longtime Paint Shop pro user, now learning Photoshop and a little Campaign Cartographer 3. I used to play AD&D back in the 80's, and a bunch of my old friends and I are planning on getting back into it, playing remotely using such tools as Skype, Facebook, GameTable, and whatever other tools seem to work well for the purpose.

And yes, we're picking up our old campaign started over 30 years ago that has hardly been played at all in the past 25 years.

Obviously, technology has changed some things for us. Playing remotely wouldn't have been an option back in the day, but we all lived in the same city and getting together wasn't that big of a deal. Our maps were derived from a variety of sources, but many were just simply hand drawn, or in a few cases drawn with Autocad.

One of the several fantasy worlds that I had created with ideas from other sources was Halfworld, a tidally-locked planet (one side always faces the sun). This caused the planet to have a habitable ring longitudinally, only a few hundred miles wide. Travel too far in either direction and a sure death awaits in the form of either freezing cold or blistering heat. The largest city is at the north pole.

So, my plan is to map this world. Imagining it is one obstacle to overcome, as some rather unusual terrain and weather features have to be addressed. I've done some looking around for more help in this regard, and one resource I found was this:
    http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~tmerlis/...ly_locked.html

Anyway, I'll chime in again in a new thread when I have more ideas. Hopefully soon I'll have some rudimentary map of some sort to show for my efforts. If anyone has any more ideas, please add your comments - I'd love to hear them.

Wow - I just did a search here for "tidally locked" and discovered I'm not even close to the first person to try this. I'm having an eye-opening session of viewing what others have done right now.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Wow 30 years! Thats something. I always liked the idea of tidally locked planets, so look forward to seeing your progress

Welcome to the Guild Scott! I think it's fantastic that you guys are reviving such a venerable campaign, and your campaign setting sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Scott! I think it's fantastic that you guys are reviving such a venerable campaign, and your campaign setting sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks!
    I have to explain a little though - Our old campaign started off with me as DM, which I did for a year or so and got too busy to keep up with it, at that point, my brother took over and created his own game world. We decided to have a collaborative shared multiverse, where some worlds were his and some were mine. It was a mix of brand new content created by us and some commercial published materials (Greyhawk and scattered Judges Guild materials). He's got all of the maps though, so when he posts here (he already registered) you'll start seeing maps from us. The majority of them will likely be reworked in CC3 and/or Paint Shop Pro and/or Autocad first however.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome aboard!