Thread: After reading some tutorials, I feel confident enough to say hi and present my first!

Default After reading some tutorials, I feel confident enough to say hi and present my first!

Hell all!

I am from TN. I also play D&D on Thursday nights online. I have been just browsing for the longest time before I got the courage up to actually get GIMP and try making my own maps. I will admit that I am proud of my first creation, but I know it could be improved upon. Also, the reason the north area is so barren is because civilization has not reached that far up enough to have mapped and surveyed it.

Also, if anyone knows any good GIMP tutorials on making cities, that would totally be awesome!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aerendale-Letter-Color.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	45860  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I'd say that's excellent for your first map.

I love it. It somehow reminds me of my sister...

Newbie high five!

Some ideas for improvement:
    - tone down the bright colours a little bit: the yellow outline of the text and the brighter green parts of the forests. A good map does not need to scream - subtle does it.
    - taper your rivers: make them narrower towards the source. Looks more naturally.

That said: this is a fantastic map for a first attempt! Good work, and keep 'em comming!

Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep those in mind going forward. Currently, I am also working on some dungeon maps so that my campaign can continue.

Hi there tnbrewer83, welcome to the Guild! Nice job on your first map. A couple of bits of constructive feedback, you might want to work on trying to blend the mountains into the surrounding terrain a bit more. There are several ways to do this, but an easy way is to create a selection of the mountains layer, save the selection as a channel (Select > Save to Channel) then right click on the mountain layer, click on "Add Layer Mask" and select "From Channel" and then select the mountain selection. Next just add a Gaussian blur to the layer mask (try 25px for starters). Also, the forests turned out nicely, but the individual trees surrounding them need some work. I'm not sure what happened, but they are a different color, and lack the texture of the forests. Otherwise, nice job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Really good. I like the use of various special effects for the different terrains and objects.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild tnbrewer83! That's a nice first map.