Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might and Magic X: Multi-talented Cartographer Wanted! (Fantasy RPG Computer Game)

Map Might and Magic X: Multi-talented Cartographer Wanted! (Fantasy RPG Computer Game)

Greetings kind cartographers,

I would like to introduce you to my project, Might and Magic X: Children of the Void, which is a nonprofit, fan-based, first person RPG computer game in the style of the famous Might and Magic RPG series. Might and Magic is a lot like Dungeons and Dragons and uses plenty of similar game mechanics. We at MMX are a large non-for-profit development team comprised of 30-ish part time men and women of a wide variety of ages (at least 17 to 38 ), and from a wide variety of international countries, including people from USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, and Australia. We have our home base on Skype in several chat rooms and we are a friendly bunch of gamers who enjoy working for fun on this unpaid, internship-type project.

We are currently looking for a part time cartographer who can stick with this project and make us maps as we go along for the purpose of planning level design, the player's map interface screens, and world maps to publicly showcase. Some of this will involve skill in worldbuilding, and certainly a decent amount of creativity and flexibility. The following are the categories of maps we will require in the future for the game itself:

-World Map (2d high detailed graphic for showcase)
    -Regional Area Maps (for level designer and for player's mapping interface)
    -Dungeon Maps (for level designer and for player's mapping interface)
    -Town Maps (for level designers)

If you choose to apply for this job, you will be working with me as well as the MMX level designers department, the writers dept. and potentially alongside some of the 2d artist team. Here is an example of some of the maps that we have to work with (several versions of the world map, as well as a very rough draft of one regional map that I pieced together): http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...p?albumid=3648

MMX's History at the Cartographer's Guild
    We did have a cartographer for a brief period of time, dangerdog15 from this board, but we lost him due to his life and other obligations. He was a very fine mapmaker and my hope is to find someone as talented as he was. He has not returned yet and I have not heard back from him in a long time. We are in need of a mapmaker to continue development, so I once again return to the guild to ask you guys for volunteers!

Time Constraints
    We are perfectly willing to negotiate a deadline based on the artist's personal schedule and availability of free time.

Style
    To be discussed between myself, the level designers of MMX, and the cartographer. Should be compatible with RPG-type games.

Quality and Size
    We expect professional quality for this map, but realize that even non-professionals can make great looking maps. This will be a matter that is discussed between us and the artist so that we may find a mutual understanding. Ideally, we expect a nice looking map done in high resolution. The exact dimensions will be determined between us and the cartographer.

Copyright
    All artists own their own work, and if you would like to sell your work, I will allow it as long as it is under the category of Might and Magic fan-made memorabilia. (Meaning you may sell your maps on t-shirts, hats, mugs, etc. ala DeviantArt if you wish!)

Contact
    If interested, please respond to me here, by private message, or by email (MMXAlamar@gmail.com). You may also add me on Skype (fallendefender).

Thank you very much for your interest and I hope we will work together soon

Sincerely,
    ~Alamar
    Project Leader of Might and Magic X

Map Old Map Drawings from MMX

Here is one of the old maps that Mike Fedewa kindly drew for us before his departure from MMX. I'd want any mapmaker interested in joining MMX to have a similar level of skill.

-Alamar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM-Noramira.jpg 
Views:	1231 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	45192

Default Might and Magic X: Project Update June 1st, 2012

Hello all! If you are interested in how MMX is doing, please check out our monthly project update for this month. There is a new soundtrack posted as well as some images from the MMX spellbook in progress. We are still looking for a cartographer guys, don't be shy!

Might and Magic X: Project Update June 1st, 2012

~MMXAlamar

Guild Journeyer

Might and Magic is far from an abandoned property, with a most recent release in 2009. So i rather expect lawyers to shut you down once it is clear your project is going somewhere. Do you have any reason to believe Ubisoft will allow you to finish?

Your very-probably-doomed status is a big disincentive to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Might and Magic is far from an abandoned property, with a most recent release in 2009. So i rather expect lawyers to shut you down once it is clear your project is going somewhere. Do you have any reason to believe Ubisoft will allow you to finish?

Your very-probably-doomed status is a big disincentive to contribute.
    We are a nonprofit fan-based tribute project with a very similar status to other Might and Magic knockoffs and fan projects such as Heroes V: Legends of the Ancients (which has obtained official M&M status from Ubisoft), Heroes III: Wake of the Gods, Might and Magic VI: The Chaos Conspiracy, Might and Magic VII: Maestro's Mod, Might and Magic VIII: Echo of Destruction, Might and Magic Tribute: The Book of Ceth, Legend of Erthia, World of Xeen II, and Might and Magic: The New Order. We operate with $0 budget and everyone working on MMX is a volunteer contributing in their free time, and we are also working on contacting Ubisoft to negotiate with them. If Ubisoft asks us to remove the "Might and Magic X" title, we are fully prepared to replace it and change our name, while continuing to develop this project. Might and Magic X is destined to succeed, and I have come here to find a cartographer who is interested in helping us along that path. I appreciate your concern, however, because this is important for everyone to know.

~Alamar

Guild Journeyer

I don't want your project to be doomed, but your answer is less impressive than it looks at first glance. Doing a little Googling, it seems you are listing a bunch of Mods to official M&M games.

There's a big difference between:
    * a company letting people mod their game (using the names and so-forth from the game), and
    * a company letting people make a totally new game (using the names and so-forth from the game).

Most companies would allow the first. Most companies wouldn't allow the second.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    I don't want your project to be doomed, but your answer is less impressive than it looks at first glance. Doing a little Googling, it seems you are listing a bunch of Mods to official M&M games.

There's a big difference between:
    * a company letting people mod their game (using the names and so-forth from the game), and
    * a company letting people make a totally new game (using the names and so-forth from the game).

Most companies would allow the first. Most companies wouldn't allow the second.
    The following are totally new games: Might and Magic Tribute: The Book of Ceth, Legend of Erthia, World of Xeen II, and Might and Magic: The New Order. However, most of them have failed and some have been abandoned. The difference between these and MMX is that we have not failed and are still in production.

Bump! - Still looking for a cartographer. We have many beautiful and diverse geographical areas planed out that we need a mapper for!

A sample scene in V-Engine made by MMX Level Designer Milos Vranjes. We'd love to have a cartographer to help us design the overhead map images and plan some of the regional layouts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMXa.jpg 
Views:	2922 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	45511

~MMX Alamar

Bump! We are still looking for a cartographer. I am positive someone will take interest in MMX. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions!

And here is a short excerpt from our story:

The Reckoning

The Reckoning was a cataclysmic event that resulted in the destruction of the planet Enroth. It was caused by the collision between the Sword of Frost and Armageddon’s Blade, which clashed together and brought about massive earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, and deaths across the planet along with it. King Kilgor the Barbarian and Gelu the Elvish Ranger wielded these two blades and were incinerated by the magical energies released, which is said to have been powerful enough to make the Ancients shudder. As the structure of the planet of Enroth was collapsing, magical portals opened and countless refugees fled through them to another world, escaping the cataclysm and leaving their old lives behind. The new world was known as Axeoth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast