Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Map for a Deadlands Reloaded Campaign

Guild Novice Facebook Connected wildharmonic's Avatar

Wip Regional Map for a Deadlands Reloaded Campaign

I couldn't find any good maps in the books I have, and only some low res ones in Google images, presumably from the original game setting books. So I decided I would take a stab at making my own map for the campaign. It takes place in Silver City, so landmarks increase as you get closer to that.

Though this is "done enough" for my first session, I am sure I will be adding to and editing it as the game commences and details emerge. Ideally I plan to be able to post this map with a complete set of useful info for a GM to use it, on my blog, once it is done.

My very first map. All done in photoshop. The mountains and magic circles are brushes I got from Deviant Art. I can track those down if anyone is interested. The rest is all done by myself with my general PS know how. Just trying to get my feet wet and also have this done for our first session. I am already addicted and plan on making my own detail brushes as soon as I have time. Thanks for stopping by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silvercityAreaMap.jpg 
Views:	2790 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	45861  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

That's excellent. I can imagine how it would translate to a fantasy map quite nicely. I really like the unique approach to using textures.

Thanks! It felt a little plain, then I hit on making it look more used and gave it other ambiances. My players liked that too I think.

I like it. It's simple but like you said, the grunge and aging affects really give it character. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Merci very much!

Nice work. Too few hand-drawn-look maps actually draw straight lines as, well, hand-drawn :-). Now, what happens if a player gets a coffee-mug circle on it.... does that mess with the mana?

Tale a look into the wayback machine(2007 I think) if you want to try more or for inspiration. There was was a mapping challenge focused on the old west and Gameprinter did some really cool symbols for it which I "BELIEVE" are CC License(but as always, check the post carefully or contact the artist if unsure) which are really really cool and have a really nice old west hard drawn feel.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

jbgibson:m coffee is no effect, a whisky spill gets +1 xp These days for me, hand drawn = tablet.

jfrazierjr: I gave the way back a whirl, but I really don't know how to find stuff on it. I mean, I could load some old versions fo this site, but trying to drill down to anything wasn't happening. Any tips? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Marihugh View Post
    jbgibson:m coffee is no effect, a whisky spill gets +1 xp These days for me, hand drawn = tablet.

jfrazierjr: I gave the way back a whirl, but I really don't know how to find stuff on it. I mean, I could load some old versions fo this site, but trying to drill down to anything wasn't happening. Any tips? Thanks!
    Sorry, I may not have made that fully clear.. I did not mean the "internet" waybackmachine(web.archive.org), but just seaching the posts here. If you go to advanced search and put in Gamerprinter's username and filter to the Mapping Challenges forums(or perhaps Mapping Challenge Archives) and just go backwards til around 2007-2008 you should find it.... On a mobile, so can't really post a link to it ATM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Aha! Too funny, thanks for clarifying. I think this is probably the post, yea?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...n-Valley/page8
    Too bad though, looks like the links to files are broken now. But it was very inspiring, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast