Thread: Thalor -- The Oslin Peninsula

Guild Novice

Default Thalor -- The Oslin Peninsula

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oslin Map.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	45864

Oslin is a peninsula in the world/continent of Thalor, the world my Dungeons and Dragons campaign is set in. Oslin is named after the great city located in what is now the forest between Telos and Cailanport--it was swallowed up by the forest mysteriously in the decades after it fell in the skyshatter incident (long story).

It's a hand/computer combo. Huzzah!

Guild Adept

The River Police will have some issues here. I don't personally carry that badge, but take a look for a sticky over in the tutorials on rivers.

Major issues of the top of my head: a lake feeding multiple rivers, branching and connecting two major bodies of water and on appears to go across mountains in an unlikely scenario.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Guild Novice

Thanks!--I'll go check it out.

Guild Novice

I wonder--this lake is really big, with dimensions about 40 by 120 miles. Is it possible, since it is so large, that there are localized regions where it may flood and create rivers? For example, Lake Superior has many, many rivers sticking out of it. And because it has a high surface area, and the area rains frequently (not Portland frequent, but only a bit less), isn't it possible for it to maintain this output of water?

No, Lake Superior has many rivers sticking INTO it :-). A lake is going to be the same elevation all the way 'round, no matter how large. In the unlikely event that there are two equal 'lowest points' on the periphery, one will quickly erode deeper and capture all the flow. Water being so, well, *liquid* a difference of just *inches* would be enough to generate differential outflow and voila - one output. Sure, subsequent input of a HUGE amount of rainfall at once could raise the lake level a teeny bit, and the once-upon-a-time short-lived other outlet might get some of the flow... for a matter of hours or days, then it'd be back to normal.

You've found one decent compromise to get labels visible across mixed dark and light backgrounds - the outlining works pretty well here.

The forest symbology is just OK, not great. Try some green scribbly swirls and see if that doesn't say "forest" better than the neat crosshatching. This way isn't bad, though.

I bet the city dots would look better as red fill of a black circle.

Other than those, and the river issues, it's a good map - gets the topography across fine. Depending on the purpose, 'simple' can beat 'elegant'.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Some comments on the rivers - what the above posters said is accurate, and there are some rather easy fixes to take care of the problem. Here are a few ideas:
    1. Have the river south of Ellbrook become two rivers. Simply delete the part of the river in the hills, and have 2 rivers coming from them; one north, and one south. This would put the origin point of those rivers in the hills and have outflow going into the lake, not from it.
    2. Do the same thing south of the Bayhill area. One river would flow into the lake, and the other would go to the ocean.
    3. Do the same thing east and south of Dorils. You'd need to break this one up into 3 rivers since there are 3 outflows.
    4. Are you aware that the lake up at Olens has no outflow? While this isn't impossible, it's unlikely. Maybe a second river could flow eastward to the sea?

These are just suggestions. I'm not a card carrying member of "Team River Police".

Guild Novice

Thank you two for your suggestions. I'll work with it, and see what happens!--if it's good, I'll post it up. If not. . . then I'll redo it 'till it's post-able

Guild Novice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OslinV2.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	45928

How's this?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Not bad at all! I can't wait to see it when it's done. Now, to finish my own maps...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You still have several rivers splitting and/or traveling from ocean to ocean here. It might help if you think of your landmass as an irregular dome. If it's so flat that a river can go all the way across it, then it would erode into 2 islands instead. So, your rivers will start at the highest point and flow downwards toward your major seas/rivers. They join on their way there like the branches of a tree join on the way down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast