Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ships...in SPAAACE?

Default Cruise ships...in SPAAACE?

Hi all,
    I'm going to run a convention game set in the Star Frontiers universe in a couple of weeks. I need deckplans for a cruise ship...a spacegoing cruise ship...to use as a player handout and for planning encounters and such. I might be able to modify a regular old 'wet' ship for my purposes but I don't have time to make my own map, I think, so I figured I'd turn to you guys for help. Anybody have a map that'd work as a player handout for that? Thanks!
    M

Edit: BTW, the attached image is my best prospect for conversion so far. I like the shapes there, though I wouldn't mind if it was a tiny bit smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26525334.png 
Views:	2683 
Size:	863.0 KB 
ID:	45886  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 06-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Lando Calrissian had a luxury ship called the Lady Luck but I think that only held a few couples. Way smaller than what you are looking at there.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks! Didn't know that. Looked it up and it's a cool ship, reminds me of the Imperial ships in Battlefleet Gothic (40K). You're right, though...a bit too small.

I think I'll just mod the deckplan above for my purposes (wish it was higher resolution). I did some image searching for an exterior view of a ship that looked right...but almost everything out there's military in nature, though there were some industrial transports. Guess people just aren't interested in civilian ships. Maybe I'll check out the ship from Fifth Element. Might work.
    M

Well, there was that ship in The Fifth Element they were on....not sure if you can find a deck plan but it had theater and all that inside.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I believe that the Serenity RPG, based on the Firefly series, has deck plans for various ships, and I think that one was a large cruise ship, because one of our adventures took place on one. The game has a decent fanbase that creates free-use ships for the game as well, some with deckplans. You could look through various fansites for that game.

You might be interested in looking at this cruise ship plan. It's fantasy, but you might get some ideas from the way it developed.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ht=cruise+ship

Thanks for the replies guys. After a lot of looking around I decided to mod the pic I put up earlier. This is good enough for my purposes. I changed most of the bottom text and some of the labels and altered the 'ship shape' of the bow on the lower decks.
    M

Edit: and somehow, I forgot to rework the text at the far right on the bottom. Duh...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PGS-Equinox.png 
Views:	642 
Size:	350.1 KB 
ID:	45904  

There have been a number of "cruise ships" in space over the years in Dr Who series.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The layout looks good, except I don't see anything related to the ship's storage, engines, or controls. Are the engines, bridge, and food/supply stores externally separate from the rest of the ship? Or are they on a deck not shown in the plans, since they aren't going to be needed?

I think engineering, control areas, crew cabins, etc. are in some of the unmarked areas of the deckplans. I'll work on that a bit...as some of those areas are imPortant to the story.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast