Thread: So, I guess I should introduce myself.

Default So, I guess I should introduce myself.

Hey all!
    After hiding in the shadowy corners of this great forum I've finally decided to start posting! I'm pretty much a novice at cartography, though I do have quite some experience with Photoshop. My love for maps stems mostly from video games, fantasy books and a fondness of displaying a lot of information in a compact, clear way.
    I'm a little intimidated by the skill of some people here, but I guess that just means there is a lot to learn for me!

This is a map I made for my RPG group some months back, my very first complete map. Unfortunately the GM didn't allow me to make it any more detailed - it was supposed to be a cheap paper map we bought from someone. In the world the forests are probably a bit less blotchy, and there might be some roads between the Western and middle cities. (And a thanks to Schwarzkreuz for the brushes!) Another project of mine should be ready to post today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-RPG_small.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	45908

Oh, and my hands smell of brownies right now. Thought you should know. Any questions?

Welcome to the Guild Poison. Not a bad little map you've got there. The forest pattern repeats a bit, but otherwise it looks good, and perfect for a D&D handout.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! And yeah, the forest's repetitiveness is a bit bothersome, especially when looking at the thumbnail. Do you have any tips to reduce this, other than doing the entire forest by hand?

That... that is beautiful. You wise person, waiting till you were really good before posting!

Off-topic a bit... but I find the beauty of your maps strangely complements your username. Poison = "venom", which is ultimately cognate with the name of the goddess "Venus" - who is clearly residing in your map there! xD

One little tip that occurs to me, just to return the favour. At a first glance I wasn't sure which lines were rivers and which were roads. I mean it's obvious when you look at it, but still... I would have made the roads a bit more distinct than lines. By the way historically, on Northern European maps, I have read that roads weren't usually included until the seventeenth century - which is why I leave them out, which makes my life easier.
    Last edited by domnic; 06-22-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Haha, thanks for the compliments, Dominic! Not sure if I deserve them, but thanks nonetheless.

Your comments about not being able to distinguish the roads and rivers clearly is a good one. Some use of colour could help, I guess. I feel the rivers are too wide (they're wider than most cities!) but unfortunately I'm tied to GM sketches there.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

That's a Great first map! Well done, Poison!

EDIT: As to the forest. Ramah's TreeThing is certainly worth trying out, its actually awesome and very helpful in making quick and beautiful looking forests.
    Last edited by Lyandra; 06-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Greetings, Poison. When you commented on my 3d map I didn't look at your post count to see that you are also new here. Well met!

And like the others, I am quite impressed with your work.