Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Map for Middle School Project

Default Free Map for Middle School Project

Hello. I'm a middle school teacher who runs an after school game club. We play Dungeons and Dragons, among other games, and I am looking for a map to support a world building project for my students.

I want to run a group of students through the Dawn of Worlds system (http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg...e_1_0Final.pdf) for collaboratively building worlds. We'll then play D&D in that world. I need a high resolution outline map of some fantasy world but showing continents and islands only. We'll then fill in the geographical and political features. Ideally, the map would be free for me to use and distribute, since I intend for my students to do extensive writing about the world, which we'll then publish online under the Creative Commons license. It would be especially cool if the edges of the continents and islands and the oceans were artistically rendered.

Can you point me to such maps? Anyone have pointers to tutorials for creating such maps? Thanks for any input.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Moved to the Mapmaking Requests forum. Good luck with your project!

Uh, actually, I have a map that pretty much fits that bill at the moment. Take a look at the WIP thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ator-World-Map and if it meets your needs, let me know and I can get you a high-res version. (The working file is 36x24 inches at 300dpi resolution).
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Gidde,

Yeah, I think that would work. Can I republish it as part of my students' project once we're done? Also, what file types do you have for that map?

I have a psd, or if you prefer a flat file, I could just make it a .png. Either way is fine with me.

PSD would be great. My email is: dustin (dot) flesher -at- gmail (dot) com
    Last edited by Gidde; 06-01-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Gidde,

Beggars shouldn't be choosers, but do you suppose my students could use an outline of your map from this project: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ly-Challenged)

It would be more appropriate for my students to focus on just one continent, rather than an entire world. I would just want to use the outline of the continent and islands; I wouldn't need the geographical features.

Sorry for the delay in response here, but I've been looking through my archived stuff, and apparently I didn't think that one merited a transfer to disc. Which means it's gone with my recent hard drive snafu.

So you just need a continent outline? Do you need color etc?

Also, I've edited your post a bit so that your email won't be as susceptible to bots.

Thanks for getting back to me. A high resolution color map of a continent without geographical or political features would be great. A black and white map would work too. Thanks for your generosity.

Jeez, I'm having a hard time today. I found the old map (finally) on a disc archive, but I'm a bit confused as to whether you wanted the atlas-style or the hand-drawn style for your stripped version. (Either will be the whole continent; just the VE map was the best and fastest way to illustrate the style).

Either is great! I guess I like the hand-drawn style best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast