Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Cow Summertime!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Holy Cow Summertime!

Thought I'd post about summertime .... usually I get kinda bummed when a lot of people disappear over the summer due to family vacations and summer activities and things because I'm still right here. But this summer has hit with a vengeance! We got a family cabin-by-the-lake, and my hubby and I bought a fishing boat, and now summer stuff is really taking away from my valuable mapping time!

What's everyone else doing this summer?

Same problem over at DundJinnin Forums, Summer slow down. Personally, nothing special, mostly some long weekends in Maine, Massachusetts & New Hampshire.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

headed to myrtle beach (USA), kenny powers style, next week! Then New Jersey after that for a wedding. It's been non stop action for me this summer.

Summer blows. My business is insane and it's hotter than a skillet out here in the desert. I have to wake up early just to try and beat the heat and even when I get home I'm just done in. I sit down for a few minutes to catch up on what's going on here and then I'm falling asleep as my body cools off. I take a 30 minute nap and feel much better but by then I'm so relaxed I don't always feel like doing anything else.

One fun thing about summer is asking kids when they start up school again and as soon as they say when I reply with how much I can't wait until whatever date they just told me. LOL, I get some great expressions back on that.

I like winter, winter is fantastic. Winter is great. My work insanity eases up so my days are like 3 hours long at the most. I don't have to get up early and I can stay up all night drawing and mapping. Yeah...I love winter.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It's summer again? It's hard to tell down here in the bowels of the earth. I thought the air handler sounded a little different, though. Maybe it's time to head over to the big blue room for a little bit.

"the other day i saw a rattler crawl into the campfire to get in the shade of the skillet"

and the oh so colourful

"hotter than two rats f(ornicat)ing in a wool sock"

For me summertime means I actually have time to devote to creative endeavors... For the rest of the year uni keeps me much too busy. On the other hand, I don't handle hot temperatures very well.

Definitely doing a lot of not-mapping . But instead of bemoaning the lack of carto opportunity, figure your're storing up experiences, images, views, ideas. Gidde, we picked up a cheap canoe, so some weekends are going to be paddling down some lazy excuse for a river hereabouts. But one thing that does is make me aware of the convoluted path rivers can take, and just what are realistic sandbars and islands and suchlike. Makes me think about how modern maps can easily harbor fossils of old roads... there's some bridge piers nearby that you can't even see where a road or railroad once was. Over at the lake we paddled around on a week ago, I recall the way TVA drowned whole communities, in order to protect others ;-)... and now the lake weeds are so thick in places it's like gliding over an underwater forest ... gotta be some way to portray that.

Not to mention which even when you have activities that take up a lot of time, taking a plain ol' notebook or sketchbook everywhere will let you capture the fleeting ideas that you do come up with. And while lazing in a hammock in the shade (more paddlers in my family than berths in the canoe, hence shoreside hanging-around time available) is not active mapping time, it CAN be opportunity for creative musing. Or heck, for reading a good book (or trashy one :-) ) or zoning out with tunes or silence in the ears. Point is - that kind of downtime is essential for creativity.

Hmmmm... seen waterproof books... wonder where I can get a waterproof notebook... ?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Good points, jbgibson! Actually I had indeed planned to take my sketchbook with me next time on the boat It's not waterproof, but I'm taking my cheapest one so I won't cry if it gets wet lol.

Heading up to said cabin with the boat for this week, so I'm going to disappear for a few days (no net access there). Have a great 4th everyone!

Well, I live just outside San Francisco and so July means...I'm freezing. Well, not all of the Bay Area. The eastern part gets hot but that means the air there rises and pulls all the wind and fog over us wretched souls who live near the ocean. At this time of year we bemoan the fact that we're wearing sweaters while the rest of the continent is wearing shorts and tanktops and having barbecues. But this year I get a reprieve. A relative is getting married in Hawaii so in a few weeks I'm off to Maui for a week. The past few weeks have been spent studying maps of the islands and continuing to work on my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast