Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June/July 2012 Lite Challenge: Fun with Isometrics ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** June/July 2012 Lite Challenge: Fun with Isometrics ***

This month's lite challenge is to do an isometric perspective map. Anything goes for subject: it can be a building, a dungeon, a ship, a city or a whole nation! As long as it makes use of the isometric perspective, it's in!

The challenge will end on July 15 between 11pm and Midnight, EDT.

As always, to enter you must:
    • Start a new thread in this forum with the title June/July Lite Challenge Entry - <name of entry>
    • Attach any work in progress images to your posts using the forum Attachment Manager
    • Use the tag ### Latest WIP ### before any image you post so that the thumbnail manager can pick it up. It doesn't have to be in bold lettering like I have it but the text must be the same.

Also, we have a lot of new folks, so if you're new to the challenges (or just haven't read it in a while) please check out the rules sticky here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...es-Please-Read

All of the current thumbnails can be found here:

Good luck everyone!

Blog Entries

Here's the Wikipedia article on isometric projection for anyone who isn't familiar with exactly what it is. It is often confused with other axonometric projections, oblique projections, or bird's eye perspective, but they are not the same thing.

This is going to be great! I only wish I could still participate. I look forward to everyone's entries.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Oh goody =) I hope I'll have time to play with this.

Edit: I just want to make sure I have this right, since I've never mapped anything in ISO before. This rough little drawing is isometric, yes or no? (I got the grid pattern from Sapiento)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso30 test.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	363.2 KB 
ID:	45932
    Last edited by Chashio; 06-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Here's the Wikipedia article on isometric projection for anyone who isn't familiar with exactly what it is. It is often confused with other axonometric projections, oblique projections, or bird's eye perspective, but they are not the same thing.
    Strictly 100% my personal opinion, but I think that you are being too literal ... any axonometric projection would be acceptable (or even a 1 to 3 point perspective).
    The intent is more for any non-orthographic view than a specific projection system.
    (of course, the voters ultimately decide the rules and the winner.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    Strictly 100% my personal opinion, but I think that you are being too literal ... any axonometric projection would be acceptable (or even a 1 to 3 point perspective).
    The intent is more for any non-orthographic view than a specific projection system.
    (of course, the voters ultimately decide the rules and the winner.)
    I'm not sure how you can be "too literal" with a word that formal math/technical jargon. If the challenge is about birds eye views, or axonometric, or parallel projections in general or something else that is broader than isometric, then it should say so rather than misusing a word that has a specific technical meaning. It's not like we don't actually have words for these other things.

I'm not saying that the challenge shouldn't be about birds eye views, just that if it is, then it should say so.

Also, isometric is an orthographic projection, you can't have a non-orthographic isometric projection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Edit: I just want to make sure I have this right, since I've never mapped anything in ISO before. This rough little drawing is isometric, yes or no? (I got the grid pattern from Sapiento)
    Yes, that appears to be Isometric. The important thing is that the three axes have equal foreshortening. So one metre north, one metre east, and one metre up are all the same distance on the map (Distances NOT along one of the axes vary though). "Isometric" literally means "The same measure".

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Just to clarify: the word used was isometric and Hai-Etlik is correct in his assertion that Isometric is a specific perspective, although as always the voters will be the last judge on which maps qualify. We don't "disqualify" entries, generally speaking. Still, I'd recommend you go with the strict definition. Since it's the only requirement, let's honor it

Oh my! I didn't spot that the challenge had been given the go ahead. I'm going to have to come up with something! Good luck to everyone!

The UK Aerial Photo Archive thread leads to a bevy of seriously inspiring views that are from a semi-isometric perspective. Close enough to give one ideas, anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast