Thread: Winkel Tripel Projection Coordinate System (.svg)

Default Winkel Tripel Projection Coordinate System (.svg)

Greetings, Cartographer's Guild. I'm brand new to this forum, though maps have been a hobby of mine my whole life. Whilst scouring the internet, I found very little in the way of resources for varied projections, and while I know many people do not feel the need to go so far as choosing projections, I firmly believe in having the option to. As such, over the past few days, I've manually done the calculations necessary to put together a coordinate grid of the lovely Winkel Tripel projection--a personal favorite--that features a 15 degree graticule, and which is in .svg format so that it can be scaled to suit whatever needs you may have. Further details are in the description on the DeviantArt gallery post, here.

Enjoy!

Wow, Ricardo, that's impressive. I'll have to take a look - map projections are super helpful, and this is a real treat to have. I don't know if you've had a look, but G.ProjectorWin offers the option to input an image and then select various projection. There's quite an extensive list - including the Winkel Tripel, which I don't think I'd ever looked at until just now! The program is free, but rather old. Someone here posted a link to the 1.1.2 version (which is how I picked it up almost a year ago); it might be something to look into.
    You're grid is beautiful, by the way - I've just had a look at it, and had to download it. I can't imagine how long it took to work this all out by hand! I'd love to see a map (maybe one of yours?) using it.
    Welcome to the forums!

Kestrel,

I'm glad you like it! I didn't keep a precise count of the time invested in drawing this up, but I was able to listen my way through quite a few albums and "Let's Play" series on Youtube in the process, mostly because when working on a project like this, I am very neurotic about verifying my calculations multiple times. One thing that helped me a great deal was taking notice of a few patterns that emerged after several calculations that spared me a few steps for each point thereafter.

I am aware of G.Projector in a limited way, I've not actually used it, however, so I'm not familiar with its capabilities. I may have to look into this. Nevertheless, I hope this will prove a valuable resource for people who like to create their maps entirely in mainstream graphics editing programs!

Thank you again for your kind words.

I agree, it's a great resource for anyone who likes to stay in one program. Once you get started on something, you may not want to take the time to switch to another program. G.Projector can be super helpful, despite it's age, especially for those of use who don't have the mathematical prowess (or patience!) to attempt a project like this. Dunno if you're interested in taking a look (or if you've already seen it), but Mar Rosenfelder - creator of Verduria and some pretty decent resources for world building - explains here how to create sinusoidal maps from scratch. I doubt there's quite as much math involved, but it's interesting. Especially since you could print out a sinusoidal map and make a globe out of it!
    With your patience and attention to detail, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

You might be interested in my thread here, where I post graticules for Winkel Tripel and a bunch of other projections.

Ricardo, thank you very much for this!