Thread: Thalor -- The Oslin Peninsula REVISITED

Guild Novice

Map Thalor -- The Oslin Peninsula REVISITED

So, after some helpful tips from Cartographer's Guild Members, I reworked my Dungeon and Dragon Campaign's map to pass the River Police's dreaded inspection.

Without further ado, I present to you Oslin!--(again).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OslinV2 fin.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	45950

The map covers all of the Oslin Peninsula the Northwatch plains near Atrea (the first line of defense in the case of Northern invasion), the Skyshatter waste between Olens and Eren, the plains of Telos, the great city of Cailanport (lying in the isthmus between the Sea of the Six and the Bay of Lords), and the isolated delta of Saint Selesce.

Drawn by hand, then edited on computer with GIMP, in a very simply, not-atlas-like style.

Hi medecinqui! Looks like a very nice map. I'm afraid though, that not all the rivers you placed on your map are possible in nature... The one that runs near Atira, Olens and Bayhill connects two "seas" (in fact it starts and ends in the same body of water). That placement makes it impossible to call it a river anymore. Rivers start in higher ground and then flow into a larger body of water. What you've got there could be for example a canal (maybe it is?). Another river that does a similar thing to the one mentioned earlier is the one that runs near Dorils and Erascene. In fact it looks even worse because it is connected to the same body of water in three places. If I were you I would revise my map again, or the River Police might catch you! This thread might help you. Good luck!

Guild Novice

NOT AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Wait--to clarify, those two rivers are forking. The first one you mention starts in the mountains, while the second starts in the forest.

I don't know what the river police has to say about forking, though--I've been reading it, and I haven't gotten anything about that. Or maybe I'm just horrible at reading and don't pay enough attention.

Guild Novice

Although, if you think about it, rivers should take the path of least resistance--so then they only converge, not diverge. So then it still doesn't work. Or does it? No idearrrrrrrrrrrs

Guild Novice

Screw it--there are magical gates that shunt the water equally to both sides, in order to allow for there to be two rivers instead of merely one.

Yes, river divergences are nigh impossible (except in deltas). But I'm not going to redraw this map again. Grrr.

Guild Novice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OslinV2 New and Improved.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	46017

Tada! Rivers fixed.

Yeah, placement of rivers requires a lot of patience sometimes, but when you finally get the basic rules it gets easier.
    One river still looks odd to me, that leftover piece below Dorils, if you continued it through the forest to the sea everything would finally look perfect. Sorry for picking at your map so much...

Guild Novice

It's fine. I'll do a little bit more editing, and then I'm DONE