Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 30] - Wilderness and Ruin

Post [Region 1][Map 30] - Wilderness and Ruin

Every region needs a place where the monsters come from!

In so far as I can suggest what should be done with this region and how it could be developed I say:

"Fie on (current) cities, roads, and developments of any size!"

I'm looking to make it tough and unsuitable for easy settlement. Not rivers of ash and fountains of magma but perhaps deadlands or a mini dessert.

Of course its still part of the group project so I don't know what my wishes mean, but there they are.....

Anyone wanting to have an exotic animal or Ruin I invite you to talk to me while I'm working on the land. I'll adapt or fold,spindle, mutilate to make this a region that could actually hide something.

- Sigurd

btw.
    Anyone with the various Fractal Terrains exports, MDR, or whatever sort of file for this region (and world) could you PM me. I'd love to have something more to start with.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-30-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: might be done

Sounds cool Sigurd. I'd love to map a few of your ruins when you are up and running. I hope you dont mind I changed the title of the thread to bring it in line with the convention.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Post Working together is Good

Sure I'm all for convention. I thought the simpler naming system would be easier to navigate. I'd go so far as to suggest the naming format be.

alpha numeral numeral - numberal numeral numeral - Region name.

so this would be

a01 - 030 - Wilderness and Ruin

or

a01 - 030 - Wilderness and Ruin - Sigurd

That would sort better and, I think, be easier on the eyes if this were a list.

But I'm cool with anything we all do.

Sigurd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Anyone with the various Fractal Terrains exports, MDR, or whatever sort of file for this region (and world) could you PM me. I'd love to have something more to start with.
    Will do. I have been doling them out. I can give a map shape image, greyscale height map and light map... give me a mo, ill edit them in.

Sorry I dont have an MDR thats an FT thing. Neon or Ravs might be able to help a little but I have a greyscale height map. The border is missing. I cant remember if that is my script or whether the data ended there. Technically the tile ends at the border of the image and so you might need to hand edit in some of that missing border if you want to.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-29-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Post Plans for 30 - Outline for neighbors

Just thought I'd give a general outline for my neighbors.

This is a quick outline.

Region 30 is a largely forsaken place. It has a ring of terrible land (Haven't decided how) surrounding a dried out river that leads to a dead lake. Around the lake are the remains of a dead culture including all the nasties that don't strictly need much to exist. Liches, the occasional old tower, the mad wizard scholar looking for secrets - that sort of thing.

The mountains around the rim hold old temples and tombs from the dead culture. Tales of the dangers in these mountains has largely kept any settlement plans elsewhere.

Gold, danger, nasties and no over arching government entangles. It holds potential!

Sigurd

RE Borders I'll do whatever people want. Assuming I get more complete image squares, I'll go to the end of my square. Otherwise a border around our current project might be a useful constraint and I'll leave it in.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-29-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Here is the Greyscale PNG File converted to a MDR file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post On the shoulders of Giants

Basically by playing with settings in programs I didn't write, I have a clearer mock up of section 30. Here is it, still with the Wilbur shade colours, modified a bit. A version without contour lines and one with 10m contours.

What it tells me is that the land is still too bumpy in the 'plains' and not bumpy enough in the hills. Oh well, this has to mesh with the rest of the tiles and I'm not actually putting a building on it
    My rivers are too deep and short, I have no vegitation yet, and I haven't really asserted _my_ control on the square. I'm still 'discovering' the land not training it.

You can see that I cut in the river bed and opened a pass through the mountains. I did this in Wilbur.

Q: Is this too big a picture to include in the message?

Q: Can someone more observant than me tell me how big these squares are in miles or km?

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-30-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Sorry for being a bit thick, but what is an MDR file?
    Great start, Sigurd! I really like the idea of a desolate mountainy place with lots of monsters. Good quest country!
    The squares are about 600 miles across, a little more for the southern lands a little less for the northern lands.

Here is the area utilising Joe Slayton's tutorial located here:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Fu...ol1/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruined Land.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	3373  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post I like it but not for this climate

Thanks for the link Neonknight. I used some of it.

I like the square but it seems a little to tropical and lush. I need to look at wastelands of various sorts.

Of course it could be a very dense and dangerous forest.

I'm too close to it now. What do people think? Any comment appreciated.

Sigurd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast