Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: June/July Lite Challenge Entry - Celtic Hill Fort

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default June/July Lite Challenge Entry - Celtic Hill Fort

This is only a piece of what the map as a whole will be. It will be part of the keep, surrounded by all the trappings of a Celtic Hill fort.

I hope I can make this look right. I wanted to make sure I got a WIP in, just to commit myself to actually doing this challenge.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hill Fort1.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	45967

That left cylinder looks like one of those trash cans with a flip lid at the moment. And, connected in turn to everything else, it looks like one of those multi-simple machine things that I can't remember the name of. You know, where a ball rolls down a ramp and lands on something that flips up and sets off something else which releases the mouse that eats the cheese on a string, etc, etc, and eventually turns on a light bulb or something? But it could also be a part of a keep. I'll enjoy watching this progress. =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    And, connected in turn to everything else, it looks like one of those multi-simple machine things that I can't remember the name of. You know, where a ball rolls down a ramp and lands on something that flips up and sets off something else which releases the mouse that eats the cheese on a string, etc, etc, and eventually turns on a light bulb or something?
    You're thinking of a Rube Goldberg Machine. It won't be one of those when I am done.

That's the one. I know, I know, it's a keep. But it's fun to think of other possibilities while you can. I think it's fun anyway.

Actually just started over completely. Then lost most of it due to a GIMP crash. Then went back and did it better than I had the first time. Still a few things left to do.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Hill Fort 2.jpg 
Views:	2340 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	46007

My biggest problem at the moment seems to be with the Palisade as it slopes down the hill. It might be as simple as playing with sizes, but right now the universally equal size of the stakes makes the top of the hill and the bottom of the hill look like they are on the same plane. I need to find a way to fix that. And to just generally neaten up the image.

Pretty =)

The scale tool, if you select the palisade from the top of the hill downwards (or in more sections), then drag the 'center spot' of the tool higher or lower before scaling, you may be able to adjust the heights of the posts somewhat easily. Maybe. Alternately, if you just select the top halves of the posts and squish them down with the scale tool. It's looking nice overall!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Pretty =)

The scale tool, if you select the palisade from the top of the hill downwards (or in more sections), then drag the 'center spot' of the tool higher or lower before scaling, you may be able to adjust the heights of the posts somewhat easily. Maybe. Alternately, if you just select the top halves of the posts and squish them down with the scale tool. It's looking nice overall!
    The problem is, the isomorphic projection forces everything to be at the same scale, regardless of distance . SH isn't trying to figure out how to scale the objects -- but how to indicate distance despite the fact that the challenge doesn't allow the use of perspective.

SH -- when I looked at it, I immediately saw the hill as a hill -- I think the diagonal shaded portions do a good job of given the impression of the elevation change.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    SH -- when I looked at it, I immediately saw the hill as a hill -- I think the diagonal shaded portions do a good job of given the impression of the elevation change.
    Thanks. Then maybe that's all that needs to be done with that. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the portion of palisade along the path from the top of the hill to the bottom. The idea being to have the two separate areas indicate the change in elevation.

Added a gatehouse, a well, and some shadows. I think I may have gone a little overboard with the wood color/texture on the gatehouse, so I'd appreciate feedback. I also don't think the castle shadow looks right, so I'll have to go back and fix that.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Hill Fort 3.jpg 
Views:	1565 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	46029

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast