Thread: First steps toward a playable bug colony

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip First steps toward a playable bug colony

I want to share the development of a 2x3' bug colony I' making for sci-fi bug hunts. I have decided even, to leave obvious markers to that genre out so that it may be used in other ways as well.

I have a 2x3' sheet of heavy paper left over from a school project by my son. I penciled in the outlines of the tunnels then went over that with permanent markers, adding a bit of texture just so that it's a bit easier to read for those of you who are looking at it for the first time.

I plan to build up the dark areas to about 2" with foam or paper then cover that with wood filler or something like that. Where originally it was going to have organic textures like the geigeresque stuff of Aliens, I'm going to stick with dirt and rock for the sake of flexibility.

I don't know if this will serve anyone else here, but I'm willing to share it under the creative commons license. Feel free to rework it. If you want, I will take a better photo so that I'm directly over the image and you don't have the taper toward the top.

Finally, I'm attaching it here, but would it be better to link to a photobucket image for viewing in the thread? What's the preference of the board and users?

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6542.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	46011