Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for symbols

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I'm not very familiar with CC3, but I believe it will work with.png files.
    That's pretty much correct, but if one just attempts to use downloaded PNGs as raster symbols in CC3 without importing them and putting them into catalogs, the results might be less than thrilling. CC3 likes to have each symbol in four different resolutions. Importing the symbols (usually) will produce that result. The Tome of Ultimate Mapping explains how to do that in a very understandable manner, which is why I recommended it.

Disclaimer: I don't want to sell myself as a CC3 expert or be taken for one. I have CC3, DD3 and CD3, but I don't make my maps with them. I use them only to convert our PNG symbols into full-fledged CC3/CD3 symbols. I have a pretty good understanding of the whole symbol system in CC3/CD3 (thanks to Remy Monsen and Ralf Schemmann), but I'm no expert at all in CC3 mapping. I haven't made a CC3 map since 2008.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Yeah, the tome is worth every penny as a reference work. Importing symbols caan be a bit confusing at finst, but gets pretty easy once learned.

Also I would suggest a search or question at the profantasy forum, where Monsen and Ralf tend to get answers really quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm also very new to this cartography thing and CC3 (only since May)...but I was in a similar situation and have spent about as much time looking for objects on Dunjinni as I have mapping (not to mention tutorials). I don't have the Tome (would like to get it), but all you have to do is download the .png to a folder (I created a "downloaded" folder in my CC3 directory - subdivided by category of object) and click on the little icon just above and to the right of the symbol viewer (just below the options button). From there you can navigate to the symbols you have saved.

Its also helpful to note that you can save the floor tiles many have posted on Dunjinni in a similar way and then use them by creating a new fill style. (Click on the FS on the top right of your screen - select the bitmap files tab - select "new" - then click "find" - locate your floor tile - then adjust the specifications for it - i.e. scaling, etc).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    but all you have to do is download the .png to a folder
    [SNIP]

Its also helpful to note that you can save the floor tiles many have posted on Dunjinni in a similar way and then use them by creating a new fill style.
    [SNIP]

All of what you say is true, but you're getting less performance than you should if you don't import the symbols properly and place them into a catalog. Likewise, you come up short on what you can do with the new fill styles if you don't incorporate them properly into CC3. That, again, is why it's such a good idea to get the Tome and learn how to do it right.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately I cant sink anymore money into this project for the Tomb. So skype is kind of my only option to figure it out. Anyone willing to give up 15 minutes of there time, would be much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12