Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for symbols

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Looking for symbols

Hi, my names Chris and Im very new to Cartography. I want to get into it for my gaming sessions. I just bought CC3 and DD3 but find that they dont have alot of the symbols Im looking for. I was wondering of there were any free resources out there to expand what I can play with. Ive looked at some older threads here on the forums but alot of the links are dead. Does anyone have anything more updated they could recommend?

Hey, and welcome! I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "symbols". Do you mean terrain brushes (mountains, trees, houses) or other map elements (compass roses)? Whatever you need, it should be somewhere on the Mapping Elements forum, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hodge View Post
    Hi, my names Chris and Im very new to Cartography. I want to get into it for my gaming sessions. I just bought CC3 and DD3 but find that they dont have alot of the symbols Im looking for. I was wondering of there were any free resources out there to expand what I can play with. Ive looked at some older threads here on the forums but alot of the links are dead. Does anyone have anything more updated they could recommend?
    Go over to ProFantasy's CC3 Forum at:

http://forum.profantasy.com/

... and check out the topics with CSUAC and Symbols as themes.

Unfortunately, the many raster symbols available today don't work all that well in CC3 without a bit of work on your part.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

haven't been to the other forum, but if you're looking for conventional/modern mapping symbols, have a search for mapping fonts..

Maybe Im not using the term 'symbols' in its proper form. For example, I was creating a dungeon and I wanted to make an armory. I was hoping to find things like armor/weapon racks or even simple things like an anvil and forge. Im looking for new things to place into my battle maps as well as things like floor and wall styles. Does that make more sense?

Sounds like you could find some of that stuff in the mapping elements forum, like Poison suggested. Might also find some useful links in the news forum... many pros on here have linked to bundles of things for maps that they've created for sale on other sites. Not free, but the links might point you toward other sites that may have what you're after, if you can't find it here. I think I've heard them called 'miniatures' by the way, but I could well be wrong (I don't play those types of games).
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Inn CC3 raster symbol images is used with vector maps. The best place to Get them are either profantasys symbol packs (paid), the CSUAC or the Dundjinni forums got a gazillion of them

I checked out Dundjinni and downloaded a all the files they had marked as 'Fantasy'. not all the files work though. Now I just need to find someone who wouldnt mind skyping me and showing me how to incorporate them all lol. Thanks a lot for all your guys' help so far

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hodge View Post
    I checked out Dundjinni and downloaded a all the files they had marked as 'Fantasy'. not all the files work though.
    ??? What do you mean when you say "not all the files work?" In what way don't they work?

Now I just need to find someone who wouldnt mind skyping me and showing me how to incorporate them all lol. Thanks a lot for all your guys' help so far
    That's not really a very good solution. A better solution is to fork up £8.95 and buy Remy Monsen's excellent 600+-page Tome of Ultimate Mapping 3. Then, every time that you want to know how to do such things, you simply can look it up. Go to:

http://www.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I'm not very familiar with CC3, but I believe it will work with.png files. Most of the art at Dundjinni is in png format, but a few are in .jpg. Just double check your downloads to be sure they are in png format. You stated that you downloaded everything marked Fantasy, but as there are over 50 thousand items in the Objects & Textures (Fantasy) Thread, I suspect you missed a few. Here in the Guild I have a thread in which I have posted a couple hundred objects and textures that you should be able to use, and there are many others that have as well.

Click here for my Mapping Elements Thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...les-and-Chairs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast