Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camoa - An atlas of an island

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that is gorgeous work! Keep it up!

Guild Apprentice

Well... it has been a while...
    quite long time, and i've done nothing...
    So while i was drinking a coffee and had my sketchbook before my, all of a sudden i started drawing houses, and it become a map... So at home, I redrew it in Illustrator, put it on a parchment and now, well, i'm posting it here.
    This is a mountain village of Camoa, Alana. Alana is very village-ish, but I'm sure in twenty years it will be become a smaller town, there are already some citylike concentration of the houses in Dadoro near the river Patan. The river Patan has it's spring in the near mountains, and comes directly from the glacier. Patan isn't very big yet, but it is already navigably for smaller boats, and the Alanese use it, to ship the metal to the bigger towns to trade it. Metal is most Alaneses income. The little farming that they do, is for them self, and the two bigger farms Soro a Sallane and Soro an Batoma have mostly sheeps and goats. The wool they get from the sheeps is known through out Camoa, and is used to make all sorts of clothes. Salanasoro is the third farm, and it is build and run by the local metal company, to provide enough food for the workers.
    The landscape is hilly, but the hills are quite steep. The water is all year round cold, and not even in the few warm weeks its warm enough to take a bath. On the other hand, the birch grove that follow the river on each side is pretty romantic, espescally in spring. The birch is everywhere, the woods are a mixture of birchs, oaks and a lot of berries. The berries are also an important resource for the Alanese.

I hope you enjoyed this little geographic lesson about Alana, i might add some sozial facts on some other day...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alanapgkl.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	50321

Nice clean minimalist work. I like it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

I do like the originality of the minimalism. what is the significance of the red v green background?
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Guild Apprentice

First, thank you! the red ground should be town/village ground, where the ground is more street like..

Every time i work on Camoa, i have to rethink the whole concept...
    At the moment, the size of Camoa has increased, the short distance in the middle from east to west is about 75 km... it's getting bigger and bigger :-D
    But, i wanted to have a traveller, who crosses through all of Camoa, making maps and taking notes and everything... So if it's much smaller, it would be a day travel from south to north, and thats kind of too short.
    I'm currently working on digitalising Camoa and drawing some environment of Alana.
    Alana has about 300-400 inhabitants. The houses at the river are build from stone, also the riverbank in the town is fortified, and its ca. 4 meters high. Since the river Patan comes from a glacier and snowy mountains, it will rise in the spring, flooding the low watersides (thats the green/blue/grey-ish color around the river). To avoid the river flooding the town, there are two dams at the very east of the town.
    The contour lines are quick drawn, and aren't fixed yet.
    It is still a wip, there are still many trees to plant
    Cheers

Name:	Alanapg2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	50428
    Last edited by leen; 12-08-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Guild Apprentice

minor update: finished the alana map. Here you go, please let me know what you think! There is always room for changes!
    I upload a detail of Alana too.

Name:	Alanapg9_12_2kl.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	50497

Name:	AlanaStreetkl.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	50498

Guild Apprentice

I drew another town, Mesan. It's located in the west of Camoa. Here is the whole thread in the finished section: Mesan.

-leen-

Name:	Mesankl.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	50667

You are very talented, and I am looking forward to see more on this project!

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Thank you very much, Antonehn!!
    I finished another district of Mesan i posted it in the same thread (see previous post).

In the mean time, i saw a picture of Amrum, a little island in the north of Germany, and i wanted to do the same thing - but drawing it of course. So I started this:

Name:	arana_scan27_12kl.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	50714

I'm drawing with a pencil on a A4 paper (21x29.7cm), and will scan it, when finished, and colorize it in photoshop. I'm really looking forward to it, since i've never done something like this and i tell you, until now - i'm lovin' it!
    Oh and the scale isn't quite correct and pretty useless, because of the perspective. But the whole island is about 12 kilometers long and 4 km wide, and isn't inhabitated. There are however, some houses on it.
    cheers leen

Guild Apprentice

Little update: finished the pencil work! What do you think? where is something wrong? Where is something great? Let me know!

Name:	arana_scan28_12fertigkl.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	50743

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast