Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyberga

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I'm aware that it looks somewhat crowded, but I want to keep the map potentially useful for a domestic seafarer (not very probable I guess )
    A very nice map. =)

There's one big thing that bugs me and it's in both versions. Your background paper texture is too 'splotchy', and too evenly splotchy. It's adding to the crowded appearance. I would love to see what your map looks like on a plain background, or at least more plain.

That's an interesting color scheme, I like it for the most part (the red mountains and hills look a little weird, where you've actually changed the line color). I had a great time looking at all the different city icons, I love when people use a variety... and so pretty, too. I'd not want to live in those mountains, though; they look menacing... except for the mesas. I'm just itching to draw some giant trees on top of them. =) Don't mind me.

I do have to agree with jbgibson about the label placement. I'd move them onto the bare areas so they don't overlap the mountains and rivers, etc.
    Last edited by Chashio; 07-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip

Small update. I tried to place the city names in empty spaces or 'erased' the underlying drawing where necessary.

I'm aware that the sea looks somewhat crowded. Hm, maybe I'll change that.

@jbgibson: for the coastal lines I usually use the selections and paths in different ways. To get the irregular effect I apply a very soft ripple effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	46464  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think the labeling looks much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wip

Small update with just a few labels added.

Any proposals for special features on this map?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	46774  

The labeling is quite lovely. That color scheme is really doing something special I like it very much.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I only dislike the overlapping elements of the font at places like Tetesia and Fortin. And all big "P" and "T" letters are wrong in the Size of line (falsch kalibirerte Strichstärke des Fonts), they are to thick. Theses typograpgical mistakes can spoil the map especialy the last ones with P and T, they are realy anoying. The rest of the map is just fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    The labeling is quite lovely. That color scheme is really doing something special I like it very much.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I only dislike the overlapping elements of the font at places like Tetesia and Fortin. And all big "P" and "T" letters are wrong in the Size of line (falsch kalibirerte Strichstärke des Fonts), they are to thick. Theses typograpgical mistakes can spoil the map especialy the last ones with P and T, they are realy anoying. The rest of the map is just fantastic.
    Well, I don't think that I can do very much concerning the capital letters. Choosing a smaller font size doesn't work very well.

I think Schwarzkreuz means the line thickness - yes, it's a bit off on a few of the glyphs, but in a pre-modern style map I can accept it. Like a map done up in a print-shop with a few wacky letters and no time to replace them before the print is due

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Well but in Medieval Times they were pretty acurate with this.

@ Sapiento: try reducing the left/right size of the individual capital letters by some %

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

The wavy pattern causes a strange, even wavier artifact when you don't zoom in, which is kind of a shame when you want to see the whole map. Maybe decreasing their opacity would cause it to disappear? When zoomed in, those waves look great. I myself don't really see anything wrong with the fonts, but I'm anything but an expert. I'll take Schwarzkreuz's word for it
    Other than that, this looks so beautiful I'm just about ready to bin my own map that I'm currently doing and start all over
    Last edited by Blaidd Drwg; 07-21-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: speling errurz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast