Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyberga

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip Hyberga

I'm trying an not so common colour palette with this map. Also some new mountain and hill brushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	46118  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

the green water does convey the cold nicely

Wip

More progress. I reduced the whiteness of the southern and middle part, and also gave the mountains and hills some unusual colours.
    In the sea I added rhumb lines, coast lines and a wave pattern for the open sea.

I'm a bit unsure about the city icons, however.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	46131  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I am well surprised how well the grey undercolor Works out. The repeating Mountain Clusters are also well made. I am too trying to do some clusters for faster mapping. The colors of the icons Reflexe the borders well and i think the Match the Overall saturated style. The additional circles in the lines in the ocean are also some Great asset. Its stunning for me to see your Experiments with every Map!

A very interesting choice of colours. I really like it. The city icons look great to me. Their colours work nicely with the rest of the map. Awesome stuff as always Sapiento!

Guild Adept

Well, I'm not as in love with this one as your past works, all the lines, contours and textures in the water get a bit busy for my taste. Beautiful work, as always, I'm just not "feeling" this one like others you've done, LOL. Fascinating color scheme, works better than I would've expected.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Looks much better up close than as a thumbnail. I think three sets of radial lines in the water are a bit much though. I do like the way the color gradient on the trees works. It gives a sense of different trees suiting different climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    Looks much better up close than as a thumbnail. I think three sets of radial lines in the water are a bit much though. I do like the way the color gradient on the trees works. It gives a sense of different trees suiting different climates.
    Thank you. Actually I have placed four sets of lines, not three. I'm aware that it looks somewhat crowded, but I want to keep the map potentially useful for a domestic seafarer (not very probable I guess )
    I'm happy the gradient on the trees works as intended.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't rhumb lines an aid to navigation specific to one destination ? I.e. the bearings you have to set to arrive near Biell ... which won't have any practical use if one is navigating the big lake 200 milia NNE of there. So I'd lose the inland rhumbs, as well as any that are nothing but short crossbars on a long estuary. Same with the circles - the sea distance from Biell kind of loses its meaning among the islands off the coast to the north - why bother continuing the Biell concentric circles up there? That's speaking strictly as though I were a real period cartographer -- because if the sole purpose is art or illustration rather than travel, all the systems of lines do look pretty !

The slightly-approximate tinting is wonderful - such no doubt would be hand-done, and not perfectly registered.

I think the city icons are great. They fit the whole very-handdrawn vibe. Some of the labels though... think about how Sr. Manuel Cartographer made this. If it's a one-off, how'd he erase the neat halo around, say, Frotera? Or if he had the forethought to lay it ALL out before starting to ink, I bet he wouldn't have bothered to draw slivers of hill, or by Aolovi a sliver of tree. If I was hand-inking Frotera's label, I'd probably leave the hills alone, and use the clear space to its NW. Mind you, that is no solution for places like the city across the bay from Onas :-(.

How do you keep the concentric coastal wave lines so nice and slightly irregular? We see so many "hand-drawn" maps with what looks like machine-drawn geometrically perfect wave lines.

By the way, Apprentice Cartographer Lucio reports the twitch he developed while engraving all those midocean waves is almost gone, and he should be able to return to work in a fortnight or so. He apologizes for throwing the ripple-edge T-square through your window, and can he please have some of the pay you've withheld to pay for the glass? If he starves, you'll have to break in a new minion.

Personally, I MUCH prefer the first version's water(without he wavy lines or Rhumb lines), but like the coloration of the land mass you added to the second.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast