Thread: Just starting

Guild Novice

Post Just starting

Greetings everyone, I have just ordered my first round of Profantasy's Software. The CC3, City Designer 3, Dungeon Designer 3 and a few others. I can not wait to get started and have quite a lot of learning to do. I have started to get several bookmarks together of videos and other tutorials to help in this. Right now I am waiting on the software to arrive. Though I have been going through some of my notes and other documents I have from developing my game setting.

This place seems to be the go to site for such an adventure. I live in Saint Louis, MO. I know this may sound like a very large project but, it is. At the beginning of this year I got the bug to start REAL development on my game world. I got inspired by this after looking at my Forgotten Realms interactive atlas. I have also ordered a print copy of World-Building by Ben Bova. The plan is to take a more author like perspective to creating a world map with strong verisimilitude.

As with many new members I am sure I will have stops and starts. Along with lots of questions about developing a quality map. I do not have strong graphic software experience but, I do have time and imagination.

So I thank you in advance for you patience and assistance.

Here is a first attempt at using photoshop to get the juices flowing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western hemisphere 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	46222
    Last edited by Blather; 07-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Hi there Blather, welcome to the Guild! World-building is such a a rewarding (if time-consuming) endeavor, I wish you all the best in your own project. There are some CC3 tutorials here, but I'm not really too familiar with them. My recommendation would be to take a stroll through the tutorials section and see what you find. Also, did you mean to upload an image? Cause if so, I don't see it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - I do see you image ... when you're ready to make your real map, please start a WIP thread for help and critique while you work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

I will defiantly start a WIP thread. Once I have the software installed and a few practice runs under my belt with tuts. Also I am going to work up a list of things I would like to achieve with the project. Basically how I would like the finished product/products to look. Such as a Political map, a map with geographic information only, map with detail such as settlements. I will have to explore the types of maps that are made and their functions for this process. The whole process looks to be a fun and fascinating adventure.

Funny how so many years after leaving high school I am going back to subjects that I never thought I would use.