View Poll Results: Should we have a "Redraw Challenge"?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds good to me: I've come a long way!

20 100.00%
  • I'd rather not: the past should stay buried.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redraw an old map!

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Actually, since it came up, I went back to look at my Avayevnon map, and see a lot that could be better. I could vary some coastline textures, and fix some river violations, and just generally make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Sounds like a great inspiration creator ! I wouldn't be able to really participate as I lost all my old work last April in a hard drive crash! But I would love to see then and nows of the masters and soon to be Masters !!
    Did you post any of them up here? Cause in that case you might just be able to get the image files.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RE, but what if we can't do it better than then *lol* ... joking aside, great idea for the more experienced mappers - a bit hard for new members though + what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Given I'd rather like to remake a bunch of my old maps anyway, I'm rather keen on this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?
    Given the nature of the challenge, I would lean towards the improvement from the old map to the new map, but in practice people might just end up judging it by how good the new one looks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    RE, but what if we can't do it better than then *lol* ... joking aside, great idea for the more experienced mappers - a bit hard for new members though + what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?
    As always, I suppose voting criteria would ultimately fall to the voter, but you could encourage people to vote on "most improved" or on "best map." Or, if we get enough submissions, you could even have two poles: one for each. This challenge would be a little trickier for some new members, but I was kind of envisioning it as a golden compass challenge anyway--I get the feeling we rarely have first-time cartographers participating in those, but I guess anyone who has made a map before would be eligible.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you are right - the golden challenge is mostly done by more experienced cartographers, even though it is open for all (cause thats the way we roll *lol*)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I like it, but I just did redo the map I would have redone if the challenge were to be run, which kind of puts a damper for my enthusiasm for this idea.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've actually been dying to do this to a couple of my old maps, so I vote hecks yes Give me some motivation to take out those old clunkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    I like it, but I just did redo the map I would have redone if the challenge were to be run, which kind of puts a damper for my enthusiasm for this idea.
    Yeah, I had started redoing one of my old ones before this was mentioned, but then I remembered another, older one, so I've still got some ammunition for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast