Thread: Hello everyone!

Post Hello everyone!

Hey all,

when I saw the previews I simply had to register to see more of that terrific work!
    I started to collect historical and fantasy maps some years ago and got all my walls plastered now. Unfortunately I'm pretty bad at drawing things myself, so I fear I cannot contribute with any artwork without feeling embarrassed. But I really enjoy looking at any kind of maps and maybe I can learn a thing or two and create one myself one day.

Cheers
    Herzdame

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! Try some of the tuts in the Tutorials section, you may be surprised at what you're capable of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Guild Herzdame, I completely agree with Gidde. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a newcomer say something like "I never thought I could have made a map like this, thanks so much for the tutorials". So its worth your time to give it a go.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Being new here myself, I can't say I've heard new members here say they couldn't, but I have had lots of students tell me they can't draw - but then turn in great renders. I'll watch for your work.

Being the inveterate teacher that I am, I got to thinking about how to encourage experimentation, practice technique and hone skills. Consider this: Using small note cards, try drawing with just black ink, a top down view of a small region you would find interesting. This could be a pond with a tree and a hut or trapper's shack beside a well. Start with a relatively small canvas and limited, familiar subject. Use dots to create your shading. I've got a Pilot Uni-ball pen sitting in front of me that I was writing cheques with earlier today. I could just as well do one of the above suggestions with it. I'll try to so you can see what I mean.
    Last edited by Ettrick; 06-28-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Adding the smaller size practice bit.

This is a 30 minute map of the shack and well with a few trees and a couple of large rocks. I hope they're identifiable as such. My point is, though, that you can start with little things like this and develop in the directions you wish. Can you photograph or scan hand drawn stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6554.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	46129

Welcome to the Guild Herzdame! I agree with all the previous posters. You should try out the tutorials available on this wonderful site. Ettrick's idea sounds awesome too. Doodling is great for inspiration and creativity. Start small and built from there.

@Ettrick: That's a great little map! I am looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the encouragement!
    Ettrick, the map you did in only half an hour looks really great! I got a scanner here, so I can upload sketches to the forum. Just give me a little time to read through some of the amazing turorials and I'll see what I can do. I'm already feeling a lot more confident now, thank you so much for that.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing your work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, looking forward to seeing your maps now that you've been encouraged enough
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I got a scanner here, so I can upload sketches to the forum. Just give me a little time to read through some of the amazing turorials and I'll see what I can do. I'm already feeling a lot more confident now, thank you so much for that.
    That's the spirit! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.