Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new RPG ...any advice?

While I've never played, I've known people who loved Amber Diceless Roleplaying - which is a strange RPG that has no dice or other means of determining odds in game mechanics. rather it uses stats on a character sheet compared to stats on a given monster/encounter.

Rite Publishing is running a Kickstarter to pay for art and stretch goals for Lords of Gossomer and Shadow, using the diceless rules. It looks like it's doing pretty good as a Kickstarter with only 38 days left. Link here...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'm kind of tired of the usual DnD-esque RPGs. The recent development in rpg rules is very interesting. So if you want to try something new, how about Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (Cortex + is a very interesting rules-set and very adaptable) or something FATE (i love Aspects and it is also a very adaptable rulesset)...for example Kerberos Club (Superheros in 19th Century Britain) or Nova Praxis (Sci Fi Transhumanism).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

While I can understand the burn-out with playing D&Desque games, but I do both freelance work and my own publication work creating content and cartography for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Especially through companies like Rite Publishing, I develop the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror. I've also done some freelance work for Paizo Publishing directly, including writing part of the gazetteer for Jade Regent #6: The Empty Throne, and having designed the city map for the capital city of Minkai (Paizo's Japan land of Golarian).

So I am artistically committed to PF, as well as a GM and player.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

You can check out our online RPG. Sign up here for 50,000 free gold.

It's similar to Icewind Dale 1/2 but it's online. You got 6 characters (troopers) that you can train, customize, etc. There are over 70 unique skills spread across a dozen classes.
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

Unfortunately, I don't play online games. In fact I don't play RPG's that involve an electronic device - VT, phone, calculator, dice-roller, IPAD, or PC. I play games with dice, paper, pencil and dedicated group of friends. We have a rule at our table: phones and electronic devices are placed on a table outside of the game room. No offense to anyone else's gaming preference or what they use to invoke their game. I'm 'old school' in regards to how we play. I'll use all sites like d20pfsrd.com to prep a game, but not to run it.
    DrivethruRPG store

Our RL group is similar, we get everyone to leave their phones and things and I sort of agree with it because they are just distractions I think. But we have recently started using tablets 'cause you can put a pdf on them and they are useful as a rulebook. I still prefer real books and I think I always will but it is not always practical.

Guild Adept

I'm the exact opposite. All of my gaming buddies scattered to the four winds back in the early 90's. Since then we've lost touch. These days I play exclusively through MapTool when I play at all. The few times I tried local games, it didn't go over so well. I guess being 40-something, I don't have the patience to deal with teenage hyperactivity or college age knowitallism. The number of gamers in my age group seems pretty thin. I have this sort of daydream that one day I will find a RL group to meet up with and have a long-term campaign or three.

I think the expiration date on the original post has passed so I won't recommend any games. In truth, I have not really shopped for a new system for a while. I bought the Cortex Core Rules and joined the FATE kickstarter but I have zero experience actually running anything like that. The last face to face game I ran was D&D Essentials, for my kids.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I'm going to second those who suggested FATE and Burning Wheel. Definitely explore the "indie" side of RPGs if you get a chance, there's some brilliant work out there. Now if it's a space experience you're looking for, you could try Lady Blackbird. It's intended to run 1-3 sessions only and you can go download it for free and be playing not much later than that.

Enjoy your new game(s), whatever they may be!

cheers,
    Meshon

It's now the second time that you advertise this online rpg in this thread. What's the deal? Are you spaming (seeing that your signature is also full with this game)?

If you read the OP, it is quite clear that we are talking pen & paper rpgs here, not online computer rpgs.

@ Meshon - Oh yes, how could i forget to mention Lady Blackbird?! We had a lot of fun playing it...and it's FREE. So what's not to like

Another nice game is Mistborn by the people from Crafty Games. It's not Sci Fi, though. It's based on the novels with the same name by Brandon Sanderson. It has a neat mechanical structure, imho.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast