Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need a new RPG ...any advice?

Again - this is a really old thread but thought I'd put in some things that I have played and which are somewhat decent as games. :-)

Champions is good but also SuperHero 2044. SuperHero is where they invented the OAF (Obviously Accessible Foci). So things like Green Lantern's ring is an OAF. Dr. Fate's Ankh was an OAF, and so forth.

Traveller. One of the first Space Frontier games. Has about six booklets. I knew people who played this for years.

Bushido. I think this was by the same people who made Traveller. Set in Feudal Japan. I have been told it was awesome to play. Never did myself though.

Call of Chtulu (spelling?) : Lose your mind and then the game. :-)

Empire of the Petal Throne (EPT for short). M. A. Barker's masterpiece that was stolen by TSR and returned to him by his friend and magician (who I can't remember his name but used to be friends with him back in the 1980s). The magician friend was credited with the invention of high impact dice (and is where he made his fortune which allowed him to buy the rights to EPT from TSR and return them to M. A. Barker). Gawd! I wish I could remember his name. He really was a very nice person. EPT is one of the most blood thirsty games ever produced. This is how it is played: Arrive at town, say the wrong thing, die. Arrive at town, walk on the wrong part of the road, die. Arrive at town, look at someone the wrong way, die. Repeat. Lots of times. Finally - you may actually die on an adventure. Honest. It IS a lot of fun to play! Just run if you hear bells or smell cinnamon. Wait! It's too late if you smell cinnamon. Don't breath through your nose. Just run. Now. Quickly.

There also was a recent release of an entire compendium of a game released under the open source license that I was looking at the other day. It has a lot of depth to it. A friend I sent the link to said that it read a lot like my game rules (which have never been published but have been copyrighted since the early 1980s). If I remember the name of it I might post it here.

Anyway. I know this is REALLY an old set of posts but I didn't see these classics on the list.

Lou Zocchi of Gamescience.

YES! That's him! I have been out of touch with him for a LONG time. I know that M. A. Barker passed away. But have no idea about Lou. A lot of people from that time frame have passed away. Sad really. :-(

But thanks for posting that. I would have looked him up but - as I've been saying for almost two weeks now - my computer is down at home. At least I'm almost through with the backup. The wipe and reinstall of Windows XP is going to take *groan* probably about two weeks but at least, after the first day, I should be able to use my computers again. I'll have the basic OS, firewall, antivirus, antispyware, drivers all installed. The rest of the install is just grunt work. A lot of it will be "load CD", "run CD", "put in key codes", "let it install". Ugh. I have some things that will take four to six hours to install. Not looking forwards to having to do this but I AM going to re-backup the system once everything is installed. In this way - at least I can (hopefully) be able to start from that point the next time.

Anyway - thanks again! :-)

There used to be a video where he explains how the Gamescience dice are superior to many of the dice commonly found today.

http://youtu.be/tSQIir5xxWc

Wow. White hair. When I knew him his hair was dark. Obviously a LOT longer than I remember. Man. Lose touch with someone and next you know they are either dead or white haired. 8-| What can I say - we are all getting older. Thanks though! Nice to see him again. :-) I hope he is doing well and hasn't passed away yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234