Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new RPG ...any advice?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Need a new RPG ...any advice?

So, after having played 4e D&D for a couple of years now we feel like a change of scenery. So we're looking for something new to play and a shift of genre. Maybe Superheros, cyberspace or just plain space... we do like our cyberspace/space to be on the dark and gritty side though - so no SW

We're a pretty experienced group with most of us having played for 30+ years so don't be afraid to challenge us *lol* - however one of the things that we want to leave behind for now is the simplicity of skills in D&D.

Over the years we played a lot of games including: Rolemaster, Gurps (some more than others), Shadowrun, Warhammer (fantasy), James Bond, Twillight 2000, Call of Cthuthulu, Star Wars, Star Trek, Cyberspace (ICE), Space Master, D&D 1, 3 and 4, Villains and Vigilantes and much much more... some of those might have arrived in new versions these last 5-10 years since we played them.

So if anybody have an idea of what to play - fire away
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice Facebook Connected forkandahalf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Settlers of Catan and Munchkin are great "in between" games and may help you with your choice of what to do next. My D&D group began to get bored so I challenged the entire group with an evil campaign. I also really enjoy the idea of a space rpg. For that, you may want to take some inspiration from Firefly, and Q from Star Trek TNG.

Guild Journeyer

If you search for a dark space setting, you could have a look on Dark Heresy (or any of the other WH40K settings), Battlestar Galactica RPG (but it seems not being published anymore), Traveller, or even CthulhuTech.

Each one has some different degree on darkness, from quite realistic SF (Traveller) to conspiracy mood (BG) or darker and tortured settings (DH and CT).

You could try Eclipse Phase. It is a sci-fi RPG that has some very very interesting ideas although I have not had a chance to play it properly yet. And there is always Paranoia. =P

Blog Entries

we've actually thought of just taking a short break and play paranoia for a session, for old days sake
    we're not moving to board games, its a rpg group - and inspiration is normally not a problem - what we're looking for is a good system to play. ... dark heresy looks interesting, however I'm a little "scared" of the stat system, cause I didn't really enjoy the leveling up from Warhammer Fantasy, the "new profession will give you these boosts"... which made one plan the profession progression from early on to make sure one didn't miss anything.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Though I have not played more than a few demo type sessions, You might want to look into Savage Worlds. It's fairly simple system and more importantly, it is genre neutral, so once you learn the base rules, you can play ANY genre. There are pre-built sourcebook for various genres, but you can feel free to take or leave them if you want... Each "world" has a few alternate rules, but they don't add significant complexity to the game system(though they may change an existing rule fairly much!) Most importantly, there are test drive rules for free available from the Publisher so you can test all you want without any monetary investment. If/when you want to buy stuff, they do either printed or PDF, so you can choose your choice of medium(not sure how this works with printed medium in non US locations though!)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Eclipse Phase looks cool, I think I'll look a little closer at that
    Have heard about Savage worlds at some point, but can't remember what *lol* ... but its always nice when you can download a test before you buy
    regs tilt

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Eclipse Phase looks cool, I think I'll look a little closer at that
    Have heard about Savage worlds at some point, but can't remember what *lol* ... but its always nice when you can download a test before you buy
    Let me know if you have any questions on Savage Worlds, I will be happy to answer what I can(here or in PM or whatever).

Its fairly simplistic and combats generally take quite a bit less time that D&D. In general, everything not a named character is a minion(one hit and dead). For PC's and named NPC's, you get hit, you get shaken. If your already shaken(sort of like dazed in D&D), you take a wound... three wounds equals dead... So.... It's very simple without a ton of bookkeeping.

Test Drive rules here in several languages, along with a number of other freebies such as Character Sheets, errata, and a few other things. I am currently seriously considering switching my D&D 4E group over to SW...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    So, after having played 4e D&D for a couple of years now we feel like a change of scenery. So we're looking for something new to play and a shift of genre. Maybe Superheros, cyberspace or just plain space... we do like our cyberspace/space to be on the dark and gritty side though - so no SW

We're a pretty experienced group with most of us having played for 30+ years so don't be afraid to challenge us *lol* - however one of the things that we want to leave behind for now is the simplicity of skills in D&D.

Over the years we played a lot of games including: Rolemaster, Gurps (some more than others), Shadowrun, Warhammer (fantasy), James Bond, Twillight 2000, Call of Cthuthulu, Star Wars, Star Trek, Cyberspace (ICE), Space Master, D&D 1, 3 and 4, Villains and Vigilantes and much much more... some of those might have arrived in new versions these last 5-10 years since we played them.
    Well, the most recent (4th) edition of GURPS came out in 2004, so I don't know if you've taken a look at it. It's a big improvement over 3rd edition in terms of streamlining and organization without changing anything any more than necessary, and it certainly does gritty well. It's had big improvements in its ability to handle superhuman abilities: alien abilities, super powers, innate magical powers, psionics, etc are all handled with a single mechanism, and then given minor tweaks for flavour, rather than being multiple mutually unbalanced subsystems in separate books. There have also been some quite interesting supplements in the past 5 years including Spaceships, Horror, Supers, Martial Arts, Mass Combat, High-Tech, Gun-Fu, Tactical Shooting, and Social Engineering.

The skill system has had only minor tweaks. Skills are as plentiful as ever and "Manoeuvres" are a much bigger but still optional part and have been renamed "Techniques". There are now "Wildcard skills" which can aggregate normal skills to simplify things: "Science!" lets you be a generic Hollywood scientist who knows Geology, Biology, and Astrophysics in equal measure. Skill pricing has been simplified and half point costs have been eliminated. The way skills interact with the new "Style" system (used for Martial Arts, Gunfighting styles, and Magic schools) adds some interesting nuances without much rules complexity.

Space is why I originally got Gurps myself but then I didn't have the time to generate all the planets I wanted. I keep thinking one day I'll get around to it. Haha! What I ended up with is a sci-fi fantasy world my group plays. Like, once or twice a year

I had thought about getting the traveler source books for Gurps myself but wasn't sure if I would like them.

I like the idea of being able to use the same system for any genre so I tend to stick with Gurps. Maybe if I played a lot more often I might put more time into checking out some of the others.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast