Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: itw spherical mapping software

Default itw spherical mapping software

with significant help from waldronate i've been developing a new software for mapping.

atm it's buggered because of the !@(#*&$^ win32 sdk (no clue how to make more than one auxiliary dialog)

so i figured that itm i'd share what i've got, which is only the height field gen function so far.. not much

next step is to add a panel for editing oceans.. once i have an appropriate place to enter a water level coefficient, it can do the same thing with green and blue instead of gray.. about 2 minutes of editing.

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/map4.zip

preview mode: (the default mode)
    current functions are all on the first panel, globe > height field. open that up, then (or before) wiggle your pointer on the gui. shift confines to orthogonal editing, right click 'spins' (well.. it's not really spinning.. there's side-to-side/longitudinal movement, then latitude and 'rotate'/right click are the two other axes..

...it's not ideal. i'd like to have confined the rotation to 'down' in the center of the image, but that's counterintuitive to the 3d axis system (and not as easy to code..)

...it's fairly nifty in preview mode, but if you turn it off, it will take about a minute to render.. (internally 4096x204 - you can't see this because i haven't added the bmp export functions to this build yet...

i enjoy procedural programming, and while the height field will have manual editing, and various generative functions.. atm it's more because i like to code this than a really useful thing.. my coding aesthetic is ~antithesis to the commercial paradigm so there's no way it will ever have the bells and whistles of the other apps out there. but it should be ideal if you're about making stuff up quickly.

..if you're a win32 sdk genius, pls see other thread in software forum so i can add my bloody 2nd panel and move forward

work for anyone? crash?

i'll come back when there's more to it

Opened this thread because you mention win32 sdk. And my laptop just shut itself off (blue screen) on account of that. To momentarily hijack your thread... What is win32 sdk?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    What is win32 sdk?
    oh man! if you've got win32 sdk, you're screwed!

sdk = software development kit, and win32 means 32 bit windows operating system. it's the worst, absolutely lethal. you'll be okay.

fixed my panels, added land and sea colours..
    http://www.xoxos.net/temp/map4.zip

for those of you who are just taking a peek to see where this is going, it looks like this.. (pixelated = preview mode, but again i haven't added the hi-res export)

you can drag your mouse around on it to 'spin' the globe and reposition which part is in the center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map4.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	45775

Worked fine for me on Win7 64x... I look forward to seeing future versions. Thanks for sharing it.

nice to hear that! i'm going to be using xp for some time to come thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
    oh man! if you've got win32 sdk, you're screwed!

sdk = software development kit, and win32 means 32 bit windows operating system. it's the worst, absolutely lethal. you'll be okay.
    haha It seemed lethal (blue screen of death 6x in a week) but I know nothing of computers. Thanks for the explanation.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

weren't me i promise.

computers: stay away from warez, lyrics and midi file sites and you'll be alright i guess

Blog Entries

Just to chime in, you cant get a blue screen of death from a normal windows application since the advent of win2000. So if your Win95 or Win98 then get shot of that and upgrade. From NT, 2000, XP and beyond all processes have their own memory so if they pop then it doesnt take out the whole OS.

Now a device driver or something running in privileged mode can BSOD but an app will merely terminate - usually with one of those "This application has caused an unexpected error and needs to be closed" kind of messages. If you are getting random BSODs then check the event log and try to find out what code it posted. Then look up the code. It usually falls into one of two camps. A) is badly written device driver. If you can determine which one it is then upgrade it or disable that hardware device. If it has a driver required - like say a graphics card, then get a WHQL tagged driver which is also signed from the manufacturer. That means its been certified by microsoft... if you can trust the signing / certification process. The other common one B) is that some part of your systems hardware is dying and when the correct driver is talking to it, then its getting back gibberish or else its trying to make the hardware do something it doesn't want to do. 9 times out of 10 thats something with the power settings like sleep mode. So if your getting that then try disabling the sleep, standby and other low power options.

Another common cause of BSODs is that you have a virus of the root kit variety which is a virus running as a device driver. They are particularly nasty to get rid of. Also in the same camp are virus checkers & virus scanners like say ZoneAlarm or AVG which I find good but are also running in privileged mode. If you install some special software like Wireshark then it too has a driver based network packet monitor which is also a driver like bit of it.

Running a good set of drivers for your hardware is paramount for stability but I don't recommend just arbitrarily uninstalling various drivers to see if it helps as you may end up with an OS that wont boot and you would need to use the recovery disk or safe mode to get back in and fix it.

are these colours and shades agreeable? only for arranging the ocean/land of the globe..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempmaps5.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	46179  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast