Thread: Stuck in Saderan Tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Stuck in Saderan Tutorial

Thanks for looking to help!

I already did a test map with the tutorial's exact settings and measurements. The map turned out pretty well and I see where I need to improve. I took it upon myself to try and reproduce the same effects of the tutorial on a much larger map to see how well I could handle something larger. This is where I'm very confused why a certain step will not work.

I've got the land masses edited to where I want them with the black and white paint, on page 2 and 3. I select all, copy merged, pop over to channels, make the alpha 1 channel, paste, delete threshold layer, create land layer, load the alpha 1 selection, fill foreground color... nothing. It does nothing.

I've tried inverting the selection and filling. I've tried deleting the alpha selection, re-pasting, re-filling, and still nothing. I don't know what I've done that this isn't working. I'm also working from an older save of the current map as I later found out on the oceans bit that I had some land artifacts at the edges of the map I didn't want at all. I couldn't figure out to edit them out once I started working on the oceans (shallow parts), so I decided to pick a point where I didn't get that far.

Can I upload the .psd file and have someone examine it? I truly have no idea why it's not working. It's got me sad because I really liked the landmasses I have now and I'd rather not start again. Thanks for your assistance.

EDIT: I've been fighting with my .psd file and still nothing. This is starting to suck.
    Last edited by dramamine; 07-03-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

perhaps a screenshot of the layers and canvas? i remember having problems with this tut when i first tried it but given io was a ps virgin at the time it was a laborius trial & error process.

Here's a screenshot of my layers. I appreciate you responding. I was getting really down that I'd have to start all over again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-woes-1.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	551.6 KB 
ID:	46482