1 2.86%
  • Helios X -- by Fury

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June Challenge VOTING: Extremes ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** June Challenge VOTING: Extremes ***

This month's challenge was to map an extreme environment. Any type of map was fine, as long as its subject was somewhere really hot/cold/wind-blasted/shattered/extreme in some way.

We have some great entries this month! Check them all out here:

Please vote for your favorite TWO (2) entries, and don't forget to rep the entries you vote for (or would vote for if you had more votes)!

Voting will end in 4 days. Good luck everyone!

Another tough one to vote for, there are several great entries. Well best of luck to everyone on this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Only two?! This just got tough...

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I loved this challenge and had a great time making my entry, though I think I've no chance compared to the full-on glory of some of the space entries. I think I went a bit off the deep end on this one with my fascination for Blue Öyster Cult!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I loved this challenge and had a great time making my entry, though I think I've no chance compared to the full-on glory of some of the space entries. I think I went a bit off the deep end on this one with my fascination for Blue Öyster Cult!
    I loved the idea of a map based on Veteran of the Psychic Wars! But alas, the competition was incredibly stiff.

Land of the Sun and Shores of Limbo for me. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and Planescapeable stuff. Great entries from everyone as usual.
    M

I had to go with Sunrise Over Boreas and The Burning Lands...both wonderful maps. There were a lot of great entries though!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Journeyer

Well this is EXTREMEly difficul choice to make... (yes I know,but no one did it so...).

So my top 2 would be:
    The Shores of Limbo by Lukc: for the original idea and realisation (I'm not specially a fan of BOC though)
    The Burning Lands by Sapiento: very nice realisation, style and colors

My special others:
    Sunrise Over Boreas by arsheesh: sober and nice
    Muspelheim by vorropohaiah: for the 'crack effect'

Whoa...tough voting and lots of good looking entries. How do I decide which to vote for? Well, for me I just pop up the map and look it over to see if I get a feeling of extreme-ism from it. Then I get into nit-picking so I can whittle down to just 2 maps.

Some of these are gorgeous maps but didn't give me that "extreme" sense I was looking for. Some of them I didn't really understand and I didn't really want to read a wall of text in order to "get it". (I think it's cool to have all that text but the map needs to make you WANT to read all that text. Most of it should be indicated somehow in the map itself if possible. After all a map should convey vast amounts of information at a glance.)

My final two were Arsheesh and Lonewanderer because they both gave me that feeling of danger I was wanting. That's not to say the rest didn't but they snagged my attention just a tad more.

Sap's was excellent from a regional perspective but it did leave me wondering how all these cities in close proximity could survive....where do they get food from?

Schwarzkreuz looks amazing as well. It's certainly one of my favorite looking maps but other than the Saguaro cactus I didn't know what was extreme about it. Since I work outside in the lands of Saguaro cactus even during the summer months it didn't overly dread me Sorry man, but it is still a gorgeous look.

Great job everyone on all the entries. Looking forward to the next round.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

As a first vote for me this was very tough. My preference is for sci-fi stuff so I tended that direction, choosing Boreas and the Land of the Sun. I also rather liked the texture and feel of the Wretched Realms and the Burning Lands. Frozen also offers an appeal as setting for some tabletop wargaming.

Jaxilon, I can't imagine working outdoors in Arizona in summer. Yesterday we hit 90º here and stepping out it sucked the breath right out of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast