Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** July 2012 Challenge: Clouds ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** July 2012 Challenge: Clouds ***

This month's challenge is to create a map based one or more clouds (real ones, not the generated kind). If you live in an area with cool clouds, snap a pic! If not, grab one from the internet or from this thread. (Folks who offered to upload clouds, this is the place & time to do it!) Then make a map somehow based upon the picture you choose. It can be regional, local, or if you're really ambitious a city map. Whatever the cloud(s) inspire.

The challenge will end on July 29, 2012 at 11pm EDT.

Thumbnails for works in progress here:
    Current Challenge Thumbnails

As always, to enter you must:
    • Start a new thread in this forum with the title July Challenge Entry - <name of entry>
    • Attach any work in progress images to your posts using the forum Attachment Manager
    • Use the tag ### Latest WIP ### before any image you post so that the thumbnail manager can pick it up. It doesn't have to be in bold lettering like I have it but the text must be the same.

If you're new to the challenges or haven't read the rules in a while, please check out the rules sticky here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hallenge-Rules

Good luck and happy mapping!
    Last edited by Gidde; 07-07-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Does it have to be natural clouds, or is it possible to on a project from things like mushroom clouds and similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, if I take a picture of some clouds do I have to make a map from the picture or use the pciture as a guide to say make a map but only put land in the same places a cloud shows up on the picture? If I take a picture of an overcast sky does that mean I can do anything?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

@Lonewanderer - I think you can take a completely grey or blue sky and do anything - wouldn't receive my vote though...

I kid of course, today was almost completely clear though

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Well I was Hoping this would get posted here. But Now I have to decide amongst my stockpile of unusual clouds which to use. If anyone needs picts let me know where to post them I'll be happy to post as many as necessary. Of course I'll save the best one for myself ! Of course how will I ever decide which one that is ? That might be the biggest challenge of this challenge for me !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

And anyone can do a Google Image search for clouds and get a zillion pics to look at.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

save your pictures for a cloudy day.. no wait a sunny...? *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Come now Tilt, you should have gone for the more obvious joke of "well now theres a silver lining in keeping that large collection of cloud pictures"........ I'll go to my corner now

Also, I think I'll be looking at clouds for inspiration form now on, half of the pics I've seen look like landmasses in the sky and the one below bears a bit of similarity to my Adallia Map, but thats probably just me
    http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=cl...:5,s:137,i:178

Sorry for the big link

-D-
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 07-08-2012 at 10:44 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

@ Elothan: I think if it's recognizable as a cloud it qualifies, but if you start using man-made "clouds" like mushroom clouds or smoke stacks or jet contrails, you risk losing votes because you're on the edge. Sometimes that pays off because folks like out-of-the-box thinking, sometimes they feel you didn't honor the challenge. It's a gamble. In the end, the voters decide who followed the rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast