Thread: Flags, why do so many countries choose boring ones?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flags, why do so many countries choose boring ones?

I have been trying to design a flag for my fictional country. For inspiration I've been looking for real life flags. I would like to design a unique flag. But I've noticed that most countries don't really seem to care about their flag being unique and seem pretty content with their flag being a boring tricolor or duocolor, with just horizontal or vertical stripes. I wonder why this is? I am wondering whether it is more realistic for my country's inhabitants to want one of these boring, simple and common flags. Note, with tricolors and duocolors I mean flags that are made almost solely out of 2 or 3 bars/stripes of differering colors.

I'll attach what I have so far, it's not finished yet.

The symbolism:

The inner circle represents the state that exists to serve the people, symbolized by what it is surrounded by.
    The red and green stripes represent the people that entirely make up the nation. The equality of the stripes represents equality of all citizens, no matter their status, that every citizen is subject to the same treatment under the law and most importantly in spirit.
    The outer circle represents unity. That the Yaemaugh are the strongest when they are united and act as one and support each other, competing with others in the world instead of each other.

What do you guys think? Am I putting too much symbolism into a flag? Or do you hate its design?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NationalFlag.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	46239  
    Last edited by s0meguy; 07-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.