Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Seal of Mythodea WIP

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Wip Northern Seal of Mythodea WIP

Hi there!

Here's my current project. A digital map of the northern parts of the continent Mythodea.
    Concipated to like a bit old and intime (ingame). Someone might already know or guess. I'm doing LARP.
    Mythodea is a roleplaying world/background for live action role play by Live-Adventure

A few facts to this map in progress:

22.000x7.873 pixels
    Hard coast-, river- and streetlines done in AutoCAD.
    Imported to Illustrator modifying the brushes and possible pathbased text.
    Last imported to Photoshop and all the paint-,draw-, brush- and effectwork done.
    Dozens of dozens of layers =/
    I'm using the brushes of StarRaven
    And this tutorial of torstan helped me out good!
    Hoping to get some tips and tricks for editing this map further here ^^
    There are some points in the map with rivers overlapping mountains, text overlapping environment.

Here my work in progress so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	41649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	41650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	395.2 KB 
ID:	41651
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 5.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	41652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 6.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	41653

Guild Novice

Looking good! I like the colors you've chosen, they all fit in together.

It looks very good indeed. I have a few suggestions:

1. Where the rivers hit the mountains, I would suggest some valleys - or end the rivers earlier so they don't cross mountains.
    2. Again, I'd add a bit more sea in the West, just to make the composition breathe a bit more (and because I assume you can sail past that headland).
    3. The labels of towns in the woods are utterly hard to read for me. I'd suggest a gentle cream or pale ochre outer glow effect for all your labels.
    4. I demand a townhouse for my Lord, the Dark Bringer of Fuzz, in Angelsway.

Keep it up!

Good start, the chosen colors look good.

Looks good so far. As a question, are you thinking of filling out the brown mountainous area with more mountains? I'm wondering if (presuming the brown is meant to be sort of hilly but not the big peaks) it's worth filling in with a few low mountain/hill symbols.

The brown area is going to be filled with mountains. should resemble a wide unpassable hillregion. the few greater hills are atm "placeholders"

Nice work!

Given that the mountains are clearly "here be mountains" representations rather than attempting to detail every peak, the rivers just going up into the mountains a bit are fine, but the one crossing the mountain needs a gap to pass through or should be cut back (or if you want really exotic, have it disappear under the mountains and flow underground to the other side).

Paolos Trutz has a river violation going straight through it. Rivers don't split, with certain rather specific exceptions. That could be a canal, but it looks to me like that's a marsh where it hits the sea, which doesn't exactly fit the idea of it being a canal.

In the original i used for this map the river crossing paolos trutz seemed like a river (i was a bit confused too) as i asked back they told me it was infact a canal so i've to modify that to be looking more like a canal. and yes it's freaking that it ends in a marsh but by description it flows further to the sea underground entering caves and holes (with lifting columns for ships) and seeping away in the marsh... have to think over how to display that.

the mountains in the south are going to be detailed out (hadn't up to now the time to do that) and the crossing river will be cut by the starting at the mountainsite. but right atm i hope that it won't be looking to heavy with to much mountainsymbols...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast