Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *** May Super Challenge - Minimalist for Virtual Tabletop - WITH PRIZES!!!

Well, that isn't entirely true but most of it is. In MapTool objects are placed on pseudo layers. The Token Layer is on top of all other layers. So even if you place stamps on the object layer the token is still going to be on top of it. There is a plan to make the layers act more like layers but it is a ways off. I'm not sure how the other VTs handle layering.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    You could get a lot in 75Kb if it were not in a raster image format. You could also do a lot better if you split a raster image into sections and you could do better with a file format that is not very common like jpeg2000. So I disagree that VT's need a minimalist map for low bandwidth its only true if you use a system like that proposed. What if you submitted 75K of source material which when unpacked generated a raster image - like html + images... Anyhoo, I digress.
    I'm guessing they want an image that can be directly be used by the program. Otherwise you could, for example, submit a gzipped svg file that would provide a ton of detail but still be tiny. But the program couldn't use it.

I would (as suggested by RP) head over to their site and sign up and give it a whirl, to see what types of graphic files it supports.

-Rob A>

From what I can tell, map images must be either in jpg or png format. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm finding it difficult to load any jpgs on it so far! Or rather, I can load them but can't find a way of viewing them 'in game'.

Are you referring to RPG Tonight?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I've been trying to register for the last hour or so. Once I get in I'll actually take a look around.

Professional Artist

I'm with RPGtonight. We currently only allow .jpg and .png, but that was temporary due to the way we used to handle certain overlay features; we are going back to allowing .gif and .bmp too (not that you'd want to use .bmp for a low filesize map). But anyway, as I understand it, you have to post maps here to be voted on by members, so your map has to be saved in a format that can be viewed in this forum using a normal browser.

PS: If anyone is having trouble using our site features, please post questions in our forum. We're here to help.

PPS: I will send in a list of prizes over the weekend. These are mostly game handbooks, sourcebooks, and mapmaking software.

I can't get into your forums as I have not yet received the confirmation email to finish registering.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    From what I can tell, map images must be either in jpg or png format. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm finding it difficult to load any jpgs on it so far! Or rather, I can load them but can't find a way of viewing them 'in game'.
    Click the load button; scroll down to the section titled "My uploaded maps and images." Use the browse button to select your .jpg file in your machine, you should get a confimation statement (or an error message if your file is too large or does not end in .jpg, .JPG, .jpeg, or .JPEG); then go back to the "My uploaded maps and images" and it should be on the list. Click the "preview" button next to the name, make sure that the image displays, then select "load" if you want to display it as a map in the map window.

excellent, I'm glad you're here Hound. I'm sure there'll be lots of questions, it would be really great if you you could field the rpgtonight specific ones!

welcome to the guild!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast