Thread: My first map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default My first map

Hello, this is the first map I've done (at least in a more or less realistic style), following Arsheesh's ''Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur'' tutorial http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18280
    I am quite happy with the results, regarding this is my first attempt following a tutorial of this kind. It wasn't very hard as I was already familiar with the GIMP and Wilbur, but I discovered some new features (mostly of the GIMP) I didn't really knew how to use or what to use for.
    Nevertheless, I would like to make new attempts following less the tutorial and more my own ideas. If I do that, I'll post my results.

About the map: it's one of the small continents of a world I'm working on. I intended to draw the whole world, but it seems my Wilbur version doesn't work well with big sizes, so I picked this one to see how it would turn out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continentepequeMapaSegunTutorial.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	46279

Anomis ^__^

"I am quite happy with the results". And you should be! Nice first map post. I'll leave it to the River Police to critique it but looking good so far.

Hey not bad at all for a first run through the tutorial. The rivers don't seem as tapered as they ought to be however, not sure what happened there. Otherwise though, nice job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hey not bad at all for a first run through the tutorial. The rivers don't seem as tapered as they ought to be however, not sure what happened there. Otherwise though, nice job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I think the problem appeared when I generated the wilbur height map, because even the main river's width was only a pixel, though fading to light grey as getting close to the mountains. Also, while making the rivers' mask, the selection tool didn't work very well, it was selecting many areas and though I tried changing the threshold, the result was more or less the same. But in the mask I can't copy the fade style (because there are no gradients of color I guess), so I did it myself by hand.

Anomis

That's well done. And the River Police have no problem with it :-). The relative heights of the northwest terrain are ambiguous, but the path that northern river takes is plausible. As far as how the width looks - you pretty much have to exaggerate river widths when your map is basically an orbital photo. If you stuck with pure 'photorealism' then like you say, they would be a pixel or less wide and pretty much disappear. It's a map, not a photo, so some symbology is fine :-).

And thanks for jumping right in with a map - that (and the fact it's shaping up into a nice one) is worth a bit of rep. Bravo!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i do like this one. almost looks like a sat image.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    That's well done. And the River Police have no problem with it :-). The relative heights of the northwest terrain are ambiguous, but the path that northern river takes is plausible. As far as how the width looks - you pretty much have to exaggerate river widths when your map is basically an orbital photo. If you stuck with pure 'photorealism' then like you say, they would be a pixel or less wide and pretty much disappear. It's a map, not a photo, so some symbology is fine :-).

And thanks for jumping right in with a map - that (and the fact it's shaping up into a nice one) is worth a bit of rep. Bravo!
    I didn't even know there was a River Police.
    Actually, I didn't chose the rivers' paths, they were generated automatically by wilbur and I only highlited them to be shown in the final map.
    Thank you for the critique, though I didn't understand the last part (English is not my mother tongue, not even my second language).

Anomis