Thread: From Germany with map :)

Guild Applicant

Map From Germany with map :)

Hi to everyone!

Well, it's my the very first message on this site
    A week ago i have decided to make a game for me and my friends. This game should help us to learn German irregular verbs and some other verbs
    And, of course, for this game i had to draw some map... Well, never before i have done something like this, and i have faced with many difficulties. But some tutorials on this site helped me, and... you can view the result here.

Actions in the game take place in the country "Verbland". Actually we need kill the Dragon with our verb knowledge On the way to this goal we will face other challenges too

And, once more. This game is designed for me and my friends. Just for fun. This means during map's creation i didn't think about copyrights or similar stuff.
    I have used a lot of images from other authors, clipart and so on. Well, please, please, please, comment I need criticism and hints. May be i need change something or...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verbland-v1.cg.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	399.5 KB 
ID:	46300

Welcome to the Guild Dudenaut. That's a nice board-game mat you've got there. I hope it helps you guys learn your verbs.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Servus und Gruß Gott aus dem Steigerwald!

Nice work. What software do you use?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Journeyer

Welcome to the Guild Dudenaut! Very interesting idea I must say. An educative boardgame to learn german verbs... The realisation looks good too. Info seems clear. Nice work!

Guild Applicant

Arsheesh
    Thank you It was nice to get positive feedback. Your opinion is important to me. I'm always doubt the things that i develop.

Depassage
    Thanks! Sometimes, in addition to our language school we are making "Grammar Parties" with my friends. On this parties we are just practicing the language, solving some crosswords or playing very primitive language games. So, i just thought, that it would be nice develop some more interesting action for us.

Guild Applicant

Freundlicher Gruß aus Berlin Mark Oliva!

Well.. At the beginning i had just a game idea, but no idea how to implement it. I tried to draw the map just with pencil on a sheet of paper. After several attempts, I realized that my drawing skills is not enough and decided to find some software or just make a collage in Photoshop. I tried a little bit Campaign Cartographer 3, but once again i wasn't fully satisfied. So, i have created all just in Photoshop.

Well, yes... i have still used some item-images from Campaign Cartographer 3, but most of them i have just found in internet. For mountains and trees i have used Photoshop brushes "I need more mountains" (http://calthyechild.deviantart.com/a...shes-138817735) and "Fantasy map Brushes" (http://calthyechild.deviantart.com/a...shes-138796530)

Gruß!

Hello Dudenaut!

I like the overall map with your choice of colors for your background and bodies of water. The mountains are pretty bold and stand with the thick outlines. Suggest a hatch pattern for the shadows and a thinner outline for the mountains. That would be it, good job!

Guild Applicant

Rodan, thanks for your comment. In the next few days i'll try your idea with mountains. Earlier i had also thought that the mountains are a little bit bolder, than should be. However, instead to make them thinner, i planted more forests to align the composition. But... May be you are right and it wasn't enough.

Dudenaut,

Looking foward to seeing the changes!