Thread: Finally made a map

Wip Finally made a map

After a few weeks I finally was able to follow one of the tutorials to make a map ( of sorts ). I chose tutorials for Photoshop as I know my way around in it better than the rest of the programs used. That really isn't saying much on my skills..... I'm not very artistic, and I'm sure that is said a lot, but I do try. I was aiming for an island cluster/chain possibly tropical in nature and maybe formed from extinct/inactive volcanoes. I think I got carried away with the foliage a bit and the ocean is really dark. I followed the Saderan tutorial as I would get messed up with the others and could not figure out where I went wrong ( Even after reading other threads to find some incite ). Didn't do any rivers, but I'm sure there are a few places that would do nicely for them. Had trouble with the paths part of the tut so I skipped it. In all, I got this done in about four and a half hours and am pretty pleased with my first attempt. So here it is for critiquing. Hope you all enjoy a newbies first try as I'm sure I will enjoy the critiquing. Thanks in advance!

P.S. : I have not named this as I am still trying to learn the techniques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	46305  

I am certainly no expert but I like it. The forests do not look overdone IMO and I like the contrast that the black ocean has.

Nice! Very nice. My only critique would be maybe give the white around the islands (which I assume indicates shallow water) a more bluish tint. Otherwise, very nice. Look forward to any future work you do on it.

Thanks Phlimm and necrominog! Yes the white around the islands is supposed to be shallows, for some reason when I saved it as a .jpeg it lost some of the blue. I do want tofix that, but it will have to wait until late in the weekend. But if the blackish ocean looks good I'll keep that as I do kinda like the contrast it gives the rest of the map. Again many, many thanks!

I'm by far no expert, but I would have to agree that I would even out the water tones. Right now its very start white on black and with very little in the way of blending of the depths. The only other comment I have is that I think maybe the mountains need a bit more definition? Right now they seem rather flat and lacking in, maybe texture, in comparison to the trees.

Thank you Khaalis. I'll take a closer look at the mountains too. I'm not looking for expert advice, although it would be very welcomed. I am looking for any critiquing that anyone is willing to give.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Yeah, unless you're doing a "Pirates of Dark Water" thing, I think the water around the islands should be blue (or at least bluish). Otherwise it looks good.

Thank you Seraphine. I had some time to spare so I did a few things to the map. I'm not sure why, as of yet, the water won't go more bluish in the shallows. I'll work on this as I think it is too white around the land masses myself. I tried a the approach of little is more is the ocean texturing and more is better in the mountains. Here is what I have done on some quick modifying. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final 2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	572.0 KB 
ID:	46325

And again, Thanks everyone.