Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ovelesk CR

Wip Ovelesk CR

Here is my latest project with CC3

Open to Critique especially since this is my first map posting on this great forum.

This is a small section of the overall world and is still being toyed with.

The Blue water to the left is a temporary overlay until I redraw the entire continent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4EarethAdult2v3d.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	18634  
    Last edited by anaxetogrind; 11-14-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Wip

Here is my current whole map still some areas marked with "Here be Dragons!" but it is coming along. Still experimenting with sheets and effects but I feel it is a decent start.

Name:	a4EarethAdult2v3g.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	18694  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely.

One thing I would recommend is to not use red for label coloring without some kind of drop shadow, stroke or glow around it. It tends to 'bleed' in to the background (at least for me) and become difficult to read.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

It looks quite serviceable. It's clean and easy to follow, but perhaps a bit bare. I'm sure it'll grow over time though.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

yeah, coming along nicely. The 2nd map with the lowered land in the SW is interesting (I live below the sea-level myself maybe some dark shading on the edges could add to the 'lowered land effect'.

I have been experimenting with some effects but not quite where I want it stay tuned though. Really trying for a Bludragon cliff effect on the walls.

Wip

Ok so finally getting around to updating this post. I have been focusing in on the campaign regions, trying to expand the details and the places. I recently overlayed the entire map using Rob A's Gimp Tutorial but I haven't been able to master the mountains yet and they look awful so I will post that when and if I figure out how to do it. I would really like to get elevation down because the haven and swamp areas look strange vis a vi the river flows if you don't understand the location of the plateaus and the thousands of years of erosion. The sinking of two empires due to magical warfare. Ie I have placed the Arkhosian and Bael Tuarth empires on either side of the Mountain range for my campaign play. The image of Floating Citadels and dragons warring across the mountain range was just too cool! The net effect is the empires sunk beneath ground. Great mires of water and labyrinth dungeons exist all submerged beneath the ares of highest rain fall. I know the rivers are totally wrong, just can't figure out how to correct them and keep the trade regions and plot devices in place without mangling the maps.

Anyone with any ideas on how to raise the section of moonfall swamp above the southern mountain region or the black marsh above the northern hill groups would be my new hero for the week

Name:	a4EarethAdult2v3gjHavenArea.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	27621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4EarethAdult2v3gj.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	27622  
    Last edited by anaxetogrind; 08-01-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Spent awhile playing with different methods. Still has some red text which needs changed but here is the current work in progress. Still not happy with how my mountains are coming out. Also, need to add in some more rivers on yathe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4Earethver3mf.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	42342

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Welcome back! Is this also done with CC3 ? I dont have the prog.

No I have grown too frustrated with cc3 crashing when trying to export. I am using Gimp primarily now. I'd like to use RobA's satellite mountains or Torstan's hand drawn top down style but neither seem to come out right. I thought someone might be able to take a look and tell me why these look so odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast