Thread: Jörđgarđ Map of the Week #70 - Žaneta's Tower

Default Jörđgarđ Map of the Week #70 - Žaneta's Tower

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhanetastowercellar_2500.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	46401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhanetastowergf_2500.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	46402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhanetastower2s_2500.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	46403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhanetastower3s_2500.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	46404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhanetastower4s_2500.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	46405

With the 70th Map of the Week we continue in the borderlands town of Óđinn's House in the Kingdom of Slovania. This week we take a look at the Seer Žaneta's Tower. Žaneta's compound consists of a three-story mansion and a 60-foot/18 m high tower. The mansion is a strictly residential building. It's highly unlikely that PCs ever will be invited into the mansion; therefore only the tower has been mapped. It holds Oleg's cartographic shop and his workshop, the working rooms of Žaneta and the other spellcasters and a conference room where customers can negotiate with the spellcasters or Oleg. Žaneta's manservant, the retired warrior Marek, also lives in the tower. All rooms including the cellar have a ceiling 12 feet/360 cm above the floor. The ground floor includes the kitchen of the complex, where Marek cooks for Žaneta, the two spellcasters and their children. They all eat in the mansion's dining room. Oleg takes all of his noon meals in the North Star Inn and his evening meals in the Trailsend Inn. In both locations, he keeps his ears open for news and scuttlebutt. Marek prefers to eat alone in his own room in the tower. Both buildings always are locked. If visitors go to the tower, they will see a sign that advises them to pull a chain to ring a bell. The bell is in Marek's chamber. He is the only one who will open the tower door to visitors. If Marek is in the mansion at the time visitors arrive, he will place a sign near the bell chain of the tower advising them to return later. If visitors go to the mansion door, they usually will see a sign there advising them to go to the tower. No one will answer a knock on the door if a check shows that the visitors are strangers or unwanted guests.

Tower Cellar

1. Stairway to the Ground Floor Kitchen.

2. Well Shaft.

3. Offal Pit of the Ground Floor Jakes. Marek regularly pours quicklime into the pit to reduce the smell and to speed up decomposition.

4. Storage Shelves. They contain everything from food to magicians' supplies.

5. Treasure Chests. The three spellcasters keep their fortunes in these locked trunks. All are protected with powerful magical traps that will cause an electrical blast within 10 feet/3m of the trunk. The trap causes 6d6 points of damage. There is no means to evade the instant explosion. Those within the area always take its full effect. It affects all living and undead creatures but does no damage to material objects.

6. Accumulated Books, Parchments, etc. This pile contains magical documentation of value, but all things in it already have been learned by the magicians in the tower who are interested in the particular information that they contain.

7. Treasure Pile. Miscellaneous objects of value, include those made by the magicians in the tower, are stored in this pile. Everything in this pile is for sale.

Tower Ground Floor

8. Outer Entrance. This door always is locked. Marek posts a sign on the door telling visitors either to pull the bell chain in the wall or to return later. No one but Marek will open the door.

9. Oleg's Map Shop. This is the area where Oleg will meet potential customers.

10. Confrence Room. When visitors seek to do business with one or more of the magicians, Marek leads them into this room, where the business is negotiated with the spellcaster(s) in question.

11. Stairs to the Second Story.

12. Tower Well. The wellshaft ist 90 feet/27 m deep. At the bottom is nothing but ground water.

13. Stairs to Cellar.

14. Kitchen. Marek cooks here for all but Oleg.

15. Jakes. This is the only jakes in the tower. It also is used by the magicians and Oleg.

Tower Second Story

16. Spiral Stairway upward. All parts are made of hardwood.

17. Stairway to the Ground Floor and Landing.

18. Oleg's Workshop.

19. Marek's Quarters.

Tower Third Story

This level is the working chamber of the spellcasters Dušan and Ema. Their 12-year-daughter, the sorceress Evelína, also has begun working and learning here.

20. Spiral Stairway upward. All parts are made of hardwood.

21. Casting Circle.

22. Workbenches.

Tower Fourth Story

All of the floors have a ceiling 12 feet/360 cm high. The wooden ceiling of the third story is 36 feet/10 m above the ground. The top of the ceiling is a plain wooden floor that is empty and unused. This level of the tower is accessible through an always-locked door in the spiral staircase. It too is 12 feet high. It has no windows, but it could be made into another usable level if necessary. The current fourth story is 48 feet/15 m above the ground. It is used exclusively by the senior spellcaster, the Seer Žaneta. The level has windows and four dormers in the roof, which Žaneta uses to employ her divination magic upon the surrounding lands.

23. End of the Spiral Stairway.

24. Žaneta's Workbench.

25. Casting Circle.

26. Crystal Ball.

27. Žaneta's Eye of Ađulmundur. In his earlier career as a warrior, Marek won this valuable old Ćsir magical divination tool for Žaneta in the ruins of the Fallen Empire.

28. Water of Divination.

The maps above are reduced in size. You can get the full-sized maps in two versions:

1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 map in FMP format, fully editable, from our Jörđgarđ web page (12 MB).

2. Five JPG flat maps of 2500 Pixels x 2500 Pixels each (11 MB total), available above.

Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörđgarđ web site.

The Jörđgarđ web site:

http://www.vintyri.org/joerdhgardh/joerdhgardh.htm

Next: Óđinn's House - Bronze Forge Smithy
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Apprentice

I'm new to the guild and I am more "fan" than cartographer (though I have taken my hand to a regional map or two for 1e AD&D campaigns back in the late 70s/early 80s), but these room details are amazing. I never went into too much detail in drawings when I'd map out a structure (I just wrote out the 'dungeon dressing'). The scroll with the picture of the Mind Flayer and the maps of Merek the Cartographer are fantastic. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Waynan7 View Post
    these room details are amazing. I never went into too much detail in drawings when I'd map out a structure (I just wrote out the 'dungeon dressing'). The scroll with the picture of the Mind Flayer and the maps of Merek the Cartographer are fantastic. Wow!
    I should mention that many of the symbols in these floor plans, including those that you mention, come from the Dundjinni (TM) forums at:

Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Objects and Textures (Fantasy)

These symbols can be used not only in Dundjinni but also in Fractal Mapper (TM) 8, Campaign Cartographer (TM) 3, Adobe (R) Photoshop (R), The GIMP, etc.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I've copied and pasted the link. Thanks, again.