Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JULY 2012 Entry - The Kingdom of Balrathia

Default JULY 2012 Entry - The Kingdom of Balrathia

Okay, I have an idea and a cloud formation I like. Just so I'm not breaking the rules for this comp, if I were to use the shape of the cloud formation in the below pic would that be accetable or do I have to actually use the clouds in the pic?

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white-clouds-and-blue-sky_1600x1200_78559.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	46414  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

In the one I am working on, I use the shape of the cloud formations for my land mass. I believe this is acceptable, since the wording on the challenge goes "Then make a map somehow based upon the picture you choose." (emphasis mine)

I agree using the shape should be fine.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

In my humble opinion, you're good. My thinking is, if we look at the map and can see it's based off the pic, it's in. Looks like a great pic to start from!

Okay, I've slacked off on this until tonight, damn distracting minecraft. Playing aorund with a lot of stuff and not really getting anything done, well anything good anyway, I've come with this first drafting of the landmasses. I traced the cloud formations, not exactly, and ran the clouds themselves once through Wilbur desaturated it and then put it over the land masses. I'm not getting the kind of mountain effect I'm wanting so this is just going to be a guide for where the mountains will end up being.

On a side note do I have to use the whole cloud pic or could I cut out the edges? I really just want to focus on the central landmass and the one to the north, the Kingdoms of Balrathia and its uneasy neighbour Tolvan respectively.

More to come soon.

-D-

Name:	Kingdom of Balrathia.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	715.0 KB 
ID:	46481  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Cut it to your heart's content sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good so far . You need to put the (###Latest WIP###) above or in front of your attachment so it will be picked up by the thumbnail scrubber.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

The texture of the landmass is excellent.

Yep, you do not have to use the entire cloud mass your entry just needs to be "based" on the clouds and it would help if when compared we could see that but ultimately it's up to the voters.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Finally got my internet back and have made some progress. Some birthdays coming up and with this flu I'm going to be rushing this out a bit so my posts are mostly going to be short. Ran the landmasses throuhg GeoControl2, added water and some basic colour. Moving on to addng more variation to the land masses and fleshing out the mountains.

At the moment its one of those maps thats looks better zoomed in than zoomed out. More to come soon.

-D-

###Latest WIP###

Name:	Kingdom of Balrathia.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	46767  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast