Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis

so here's the clouds ill be using for my entry, though i might end up cutting/pasting the resultant land-masses to better fit-in with my vision. I'm gonna be boring with this challenge and place this map in my conworld of Elyden. hopefully i'll manage to create something in time.

the clouds will be the land-mass and the sky the sea.

just wondering, can i use more than one cloud image and stitch them together into mosaic? since i might be moving one of the cloud chunks around ill have ome empty space ill need to fill in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white-clouds.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	46425  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-19-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: changed map

### latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july contest.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	863.5 KB 
ID:	46455

still experimenting with the style i want, though i'm getting there

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    just wondering, can i use more than one cloud image and stitch them together into mosaic? since i might be moving one of the cloud chunks around ill have ome empty space ill need to fill in
    I don't see why not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the green is the land - fine, otherwise it looks to me like a bar of corroded copper lying on top of a piece of parchment, which - come to think of it - strikes me as a good idea for a map

I also like the overall look of this, but the eye is tricked into thinking the green is above the parchment by the coastline shading. More of a blue-green to indicate it is water might help. If you are planning on adding landmarks, mountains, forests & rivers, that should help also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    If the green is the land - fine, otherwise it looks to me like a bar of corroded copper lying on top of a piece of parchment, which - come to think of it - strikes me as a good idea for a map
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I also like the overall look of this, but the eye is tricked into thinking the green is above the parchment by the coastline shading. More of a blue-green to indicate it is water might help. If you are planning on adding landmarks, mountains, forests & rivers, that should help also.
    yeah looking at the green more i realise i need to tone it down and maybe try add some more definition to the land and tone down that stark land/sea border as it looks. wish i had more time to work on this, as it is i dont think ill manage to finish it.

ok, so i wasnt at all happy withthe older version so i decided to change to base cloud map:

### latest wip ###

Name:	cloud-computing-3.jpg 
Views:	1901 
Size:	647.3 KB 
ID:	46724

this is going to be an old-style 15-16th century-style map in the fashion of those made of my home-country of Malta. hope it works out better

### latest wip ###

Name:	Aedenis.jpg 
Views:	12848 
Size:	634.2 KB 
ID:	46726

this mornings' work, basically coming up with the style and border and combing through my fonts in the search of something that fits the flavour i'm going for. not as fancy as some of the other entries though i'm happy with it. it seems pretty authentic to the period so far. need to do some mountain and town/church/etc brushes and then it time to go crazy with the labelling.

i might lighten the paper texture and go back and add some primary colouring (as maps from the period tend to have)
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-19-2012 at 05:41 AM.

### latest wip ###

Name:	Aedenis.jpg 
Views:	15384 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	46734

still needs compass rose, some other detail (handwriting on the map, like someones left handwritten notes on it, some weathering) and some more details to help convey the period better (whatever those might be). quite happy with this one actually; as ive been wanting to make a map in this style for a while

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

this looks awesome! Is it a combination of hand drawn and digital? I can't tell if the border and projection lines are pen/ink or some crazy photoshop filter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast