Thread: HOW DO I.?..make a mountain full of roads

Default HOW DO I.?..make a mountain full of roads

i wanna make a map with a mountain full of roads,what program should i use to make a heightmap and convert in format png?THNX

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I have no idea! If I was faced with that situation, I'd probably start with staring at maps of Switzerland and try to reverse engineer how they made them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Gidde - then check out some of the hightmap tutorials and conversations and figure out how you want to show the roads. Look at what software they used in the tutorials or images you liked.

Check out the software thread and take a look at the various choices. A lot depends on what your budget is.

Short answer to your question is there is no short answer.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

the map is for a game i like,spellforce 1,ibegan to make 1 with game editor but for what i want(mountain full of roads)that editor not good,very primitive,so i need to find a program to use to edit some roads with many curves on a mountain ,and convert in heightmap.png to use with game editor,Thnx for answers.im not english so i hope you understand

Once you have a heightmap I'd eyeball where you want the road to go (including switchbacks) and then using a road width brush, smudge/convolve stroke the path. This will average out the height and make the road even. You may have to reverse the path direction on alternate strokes.

This will put the flat road into the heightfield. Maybe. I haven't actually tried this technique for this purpose, so YMMV.

-Rob A>

Check out World Machine ( http://www.world-machine.com/ ). http://technicalgamedesign.blogspot....i-made-up.html shows an example of roads.