Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2012 challenge entry: Skyfall

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Post July 2012 challenge entry: Skyfall

So.. Now I have done it.. I actually entered a contest
    I do not have very large thoughts about winning, but atleast this will (hopefully) force me to complete a map within a time-frame, and thus keep me a bit more focused instead of trying a zillion new things.

Tha name is in Norwegian, meaning Cloudfall, but I think it works in English as well

The cloud I am using is this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluffy_cloudsP8092608.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	46477
    Last edited by Elothan; 07-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.

(Sorry for double posting, It seem having to pictures in the WIP coded post was screwing up for the thumbnail scraper thingy)

This is my
    ### latest WIP ###

Name:	skyfall.png 
Views:	536 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	46479

On this map I will also try something I fin a bit daunting.. Trying to learn how to hand draw mountains, as I always tend to struggle with mountains of any kind (So I just as well be struggling with my own :p)
    As always, CC is always appreciated

(Names are prone to change)

Congratulations on your first contest. Mountains are daunting for some people (me including). Your work so far is interesting. Just my opinion but i think you need to round the tops of the mountains that you have . Not a lot just a bit .OR at least don't do all of them that extreme. Only new (geologically speaking) are that extreme . Just my 2 cents. Map looks good so far.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Yeah, mountains are a bit to pointy for what I like as wiell, but since I got my new medium sized tablet today I think I will be able to work in a bit better mountains.

I am also pretty much learning photoshop as I go along, so I got some work cut out for me
    (luckily I got a lot of vacation time at the moment)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think your mountains are just fine! Stylized, of course, but fine ... there are different styles of mountains you could do and yours are just one of them. On the other hand, I would give a pointer with the borders - use this opportunity to familiarize yourself with the "pen" (bezier curve) tool in photoshop and stroking paths on a separate layer - it will let you make seriously nice borders

Have some rep!

Thanks Lukc
    I tried to draw another style of mountains, but it did not work out quite the way I wanted, so I will be sticking to this style for now, and make the map more of a "retro/basic" style thing

Still a lot to do, but I feel I am getting the hang of photoshop a bit better now

Currently working a bit on color schemes and such, and generally fooling around and testing things out
    Still a lot to do, like cleaning up the coastline, find a way to draw in or otherwise represent cities and other stuff thou

### latest WIP ###

Name:	version3.png 
Views:	427 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	46535

Edit:
    I am a bit stumped on how I should draw trees/forests that fits the style of the map.. I am trying out different things (everything from brushes to the "blobs" that are on it now) But Hopefully some grand Idea will pop up in my head with some sleep
    Last edited by Elothan; 07-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Still working on trees and stuff, and I am realizing more and more that I will be more or less hand drawing the entire thing, witch while it is fun, will severely impact the results :p (with me being artistically impaired :p)

### latest WIP ###

Name:	version5testd.png 
Views:	1706 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	46590

Hope you all had a nice weekend
    Last edited by Elothan; 07-15-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: upploaded correct map..

Coming along nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Elothan View Post
    Still working on trees and stuff, and I am realizing more and more that I will be more or less hand drawing the entire thing, witch while it is fun, will severely impact the results :p (with me being artistically impaired :p)
    Actually I quite like your hand-drawn style Elothan, its charming. Nothing at all to be ashamed of.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm with Arsheesh on the hand-drawn - a hand-drawn map always imparts a lot of personality to a map, if you ask me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast