Thread: Atlas of Terra Antigua

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Phae O' Brien's Avatar

Map Atlas of Terra Antigua

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terra Antigua forum.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	46491

This is my first attempt on mapping my own original world, "Terra Antigua".

I followed Tear's amazing Saderan tutorial and used my own previously outlined continents (I basically skipped Step One of the procedure).

I would appreciate any comments and constructive criticism.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terra_antigua_by_phaeobrien-d57592l.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	46490  
    “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”Neil Gaiman

Watermark's a bit huge.

Yes, I know it is, but there are many people who try to steal other people's art in deviantart, so in order to protect my work I had to apply a watermark that would cover parts of all the continents. I know it is a bit annoying to see, but I created this atlas to attach it to the short stories and novel I'm writing, so I'm being extra careful.
    Better safe than sorry I say!
    Last edited by Phae O' Brien; 07-13-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”Neil Gaiman

Nice work.

But the 08/15 distribution of Left Continent, Top and Bottom Continent, Right Continent is a little lacking in inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Nice work.

But the 08/15 distribution of Left Continent, Top and Bottom Continent, Right Continent is a little lacking in inspiration.
    Since I'm pretty new at this, what is the 08/15 distribution?

Just what I said: you have a rectangular piece of paper. There is a continent on the left, a continent in the middle, usually divided top and bottom, and one on the right. It comes from the (understandable) thought of "Oh, I have all that space to fill."

(08/15 means something like "standard", "common", "usual")
    Last edited by Freodin; 07-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.

The placement of my continents has to do with the background story of the world, it has nothing to do with me just filling empty space.
    Because I've studied geology, I placed continents where they would make teutonic sense (fantasy world or not, I applied my knowledge of earth formation in order to create a geologically believable world and not just something unique but completely random).

Thanks a lot for the comment!

I was interested in that expression also. Apparently it's a German colloquialism. I looked up the etymology and found this: "The number is derived from a machinegun used in WWI named MG 08/15.
    Because the soldiers had intensive training on this gun the number was referred as a standard procedure."

Now, I like the texture you have on your map. Have you thought about onshore winds and marine humidity? I'm looking at the wide peninsula of the western continent and it appears desert right up to the coast. This may be a question of the scale making it invisible, but I would think a bit of the levantine green would be noticeable. I'm not sure, but would a thin margin hinting at some hardy growth look more natural?

I did use the brush to add some green strokes in the area but it appears I had the opacity really low and the green barely shows... I will fix it on the PSD file, thanks for noticing! As for the margin, I wouldn't know. I was just following the tutorial steps, I'm not very familiar with the whole mapping procedure yet to stray off from the steps