Thread: [IP] Advertising with the Cartographers' Guild

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default [IP] Advertising with the Cartographers' Guild

Hello Industry Professionals!

I am pleased to announce that we are now finally opening up our banner advertising campaign to the public. I wanted to start with the Industry Professionals and work my way up to public release by giving those of you that are already a part of this community first access and a chance to take a look at the advertisers info packet. Since we've already alpha tested this in-house I'd like to consider this a beta test. I'm going to give you industry pro's a week or so to read over this and ask questions and place orders before I open it up to the public and start soliciting for advertisers. To make it fair, I'm going to also be sending out an email to all of the industry pro groups to alert everyone here to this post.

Thank you all for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you!
    Last edited by Robbie; 07-17-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

A little inside info on last month's test case. Our own bartmoss is running a site called Enderra. We put up a banner for Enderra with a measly 10000 impressions on the ForumPageTop and ForumPageBottom ad units which would be $3.50 CPM. This was a 1 month campaign that would cost $35. Out of those 10000 impressions he got 132 clicks. This boils down to approx $.26 cost per click, whereas our adsense average was $.31...a savings over using adsense to bid on clicks. Breaking it down further to the individual ad unit the ForumPageTop banner showed 4311 times and was clicked 99 times. Had this been run individually for $5 CPM, this would have been a $21.56 campaign with a cost-per-click of $.22. The ForumPageBottom was shown 5,694 times, and clicked 33 times. Had this been run individually at $2 CPM, it would have cost $11.39 for 1 month with a cost-per-click of $.34. Not quite as high a performance, but clicks are going to be a bit harder to squeeze out of below the fold banners. Bartmoss also tells me that his banner didn't really get a lot of design consideration, so if a better banner were designed, it would no doubt have gathered higher CTR's.

Overall, aside from those 132 clicks, he ended up increasing his monthly pageviews by much more than the 132 clicks because of return visitors and having the occasional banner ad to maintain an identity.

I hope this helps explain things a little. The advertisers packet attached above is going to be a "living document" that grows with the site's statistics, so expect it to change over time. I'm going to be working on getting much more information in there regarding the ad placements and units as well as some information about what kind of banners you can post (animated and flash banners ARE allowed if they're not ridiculous), as well as information about how you can track your ad's progress through a campaign (you get a customer login to our ad system with access to reports). If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me, post them here, or PM me.

P.S. I'm also considering creating a sponsor group that will add a title to your username when you post. We'd love to have you as our sponsors. This money will go towards getting us moved over to dedicated web hosting. Let me know how you feel about this.

Blog Entries

Silence speaks louder than words. After an unsuccessful first launch of the advertising campaign, I can only guess that rates must have been too high. Therefore I've lowered the rates and would like to have you all consider again the benefits of advertising with the Guild. You can click here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/mi...te=Advertising or click Advertising at the bottom of the page if you'd like to check out the new rates. I look forward to hearing from you!