Thread: Random map I made today

Map Random map I made today

It actually have no name, I made it because of boredom and to train some skills. It's my first try at city mapping. Hoping to hear some critic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	46511

That looks good, especially for a first try. You want to watch your shadows - your sunlight comes from a bunch of random directions :-).

If those are walls, they're maybe ok - if they're fences, they might be too bold.

If the southern trees are something like an orchard, OK, but if they're naturally scattered I'd expect a bit of clumping, like you have on the northern hill. Subtle like that would be all right - doesn't have to be a dense grove.

Oh, and putting a map right in your first post warrants a bit of rep - thank you!

I think it looks nice, although the blend of hand drawn, drop-shadow and bevel-emboss look a little odd to my eye: The hand drawn feel of the trees makes them look somewhat two dimensional when a drop-shadow is applied to them (perhaps if you bevel and embossed the trees themselves this would help, dunno). That said, overall it is fairly nice, especially for a first map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful (and frustrating) world of city and town mapping. All in all a good first effort. Cities and towns are all about the details (shadowing and street layout and things like that) and of course it all comes down to what you are trying to depict. Have some rep for a map in your first post and keep up the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Apprentice

I really love the style you depicted your map, and I like the slight elevations and colors you chose. Arsheesh is right about the shadows... other than that, the only thing that stands out to me are the fences. In the bottom left clump of houses, for example, two houses are sharing the same back yard. And, in the same clump, there is a house that hits the fence at a strange angle... it makes a little slice of yard that is cut off from the rest of the yard. But overall, I really like it.