Thread: Hello from a writer whose imagination is holding her story hostage

Guild Applicant
    Some days I'm quite sure I live only in my imagination.

Post Hello from a writer whose imagination is holding her story hostage

Hello to you who actually read these newbie posts.

I once read a book that's main character was a lovely girl named Onna whose imagination got her into all sorts of trouble and at the moment I feel a lot like that girl. So what better name to give myself to use during this endeavor than Onna. I'm an almost thirty year old writer who has lost control of her imagination, in fact it's taken my life and computer hostage...much to the dismay of my family and pets. The wild thing is now making demands for a map of it's newest world, which has me at my wits end.

My imagination refuses to let me go further in my writing before it can see it's world laid out and of course all my talents lay in writing. In the words of a old friend of mine I create art with pen, not with a brush. Sadly my imagination doesn't care a wit about my failings in the more visually pleasing arts and is holding my story ransom until it's demand is met. While I might not be the wisest person my imagination could have chosen to demand a map from it is probably for the best, as I'm sure any one with a skill for map making would detest being kidnapped and held hostage by an insane woman that does the bidding of her imagination. At least I get a twisted enjoyment out of being bossed around by my imagination.

So here I find myself. Hoping I will be able to learn enough from people with true skill to be able make a decent map that my imagination will accept and allow me to get back to what I'm good at.

What programs do I have?

GIMP 2
    BLENDER
    Photoshop
    AutoReam

Do I know how to use them?

No. I've tried them but everything I manage to create leaves me in one of two ways 1) With my head turning from side to side wondering how I ended up with the mess on my screen when I followed the tutorial directions. 2) Nit picking what I've made to the point I feel as if I've failed again and shutting the program down.

So here I am, looking for any advice you kind people can give a poor troubled writer whose being held captive by her own imagination, it would be greatly appreciated.

The surest way I've found to eliminate anything resembling imagination or motivation is to work on getting a Bachelor's degree in Information Technology from an online University. Once you've eliminated those two things then the rest of it won't bother you that much.

If you're persistent about this being creative thing, post some of the maps that you're created. You may well find that other people don't think that those maps are as bad as you think they are. At the very least folks will probably offer suggestions or pointers to tutorials that you might find useful. In short don't give up (I also recommend avoiding the BSIT thing, too...)

Welcome to the Guild Onna (and yes, some of us here do read the newbie posts). Well you have certainly come to the right place to learn digital cartography. We have many authors come unsure of their skills but desirous of making maps. Many of them walk away amazed at what they are capable of achieving after trying out a tutorial or two. So that would be my recommendation to you. There are tons of tutorials for Photoshop and GIMP here. Pick a few that have results that you like and try them out. If you have questions, post up a WIP and ask for help. This is a friendly and knowledgeable community and you'll likely receive the help you need.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! As a writer turned fantasy map maker (I reserve the term "cartographer" for the truly gifted of our members) I know exactly what you mean. It is a simple matter of closing your eyes and trying to map the "feeling" of your writing. This is a wonderful community full of talented artists who are always happy to give feedback and offer suggestions. Who knows you might find (as I have) That mapping will inspire even more writing.... Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.