Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erathion v2.0 (WIP)

Wip Erathion v2.0 (WIP)

Hello fellow guild members!

After a long time away from cartography, I've decided to pick things up where I left them. I got some random 'bouts of inspiration when I was looking at some of my old work. I hope that this will end up being a series of maps covering the whole world of Erathion, and that the completed maps will serve as inspiration for future endeavors. I welcome all comments, criticisms and suggestions.

Current WIP 7/17/2012

As of now, I've pretty much just fleshed out the details on the island chain and toyed with some other areas of the map. I'm not entirely pleased with some of the base terrain colors to the south and east and feel as though they need some work.
    Last edited by ExMachina; 07-17-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Looking fantastic so far, can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers,
    -ARsheesh

Jep, looks really good. Looking forward to its development. Have some rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks great so far; I really like your settlement symbols - very easy to tell what's what, and everything is legible. I was even able to tell that 'Teer' was the name of that river, and not the name of the island.

Thanks a lot for the comments!

I've been continuing to work at the map, I usually take a crack at in small increments throughout the day...I added a lot of place names, tweaked the colors of the map, etc. What do you guys think of my mountains? I find that that's what I have the most trouble with and I'm never pleased with how they come out.

Also, is the map too busy? I like the feeling of a full and rich map with lots of places to name.

Here's the latest WIP:

Comments always appreciated.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think the mountains look great. I'm torn about the 'busyness' issue. I like all the place names, it really adds depth and history to the map, but it can start to overwhelm things if you're not careful. Right now I think you've got a good balance. One thing you might try is adding a fairly low-key dark stroke to your shorelines, to help them stand out just a touch more underneath the text. Looking awesome all in all though!

Wow. That's really amazing! I think the mountains look superb. I agree with Diamond - I'm really torn about the busyness. I think having so much detail definitely gives it a certain unique feel, and a really intense feeling of there being a lot of history behind the map. It really brings the world alive. At the same time, I wouldn't make the entire map this way, I think. It would become overwhelming after a certain point.

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing this one completed.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hey Guys, is it not normal on a map to be crowded? Last time I looked into an Atlas there where at least 2.000 names on a page...

And the idea with the little flaggs next to your Capitols is fantastic, also all your map symbols! Rep!
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 07-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.

I think it looks beautiful! Can't wait for the finished version!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Hey Guys, is it not normal on a map to be crowded? Last time I looked into an Atlas there where at least 2.000 names on a page...

And the idea with the little flaggs next to your Capitols is fantastic, also all your map symbols! Rep!
    this! very true. nice key and labelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast